HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Planning a book

Planning a book

I'm actually after some general advice. When I'm writing, I always have a basic idea. I know where the novel begins and ends and some details in between. It looks like a lot when I write it down, but when I come to divide the story into chapters, I realise how little is actually there. Usually this isn't a problem as I seem to be very good at making things up as I go along and putting it together so it looks like I had it all planned from the start. That's fine with a stand alone, but now I'm trying to plan a trilogy, so this stratagy won't work so well. Does anyone have any planning tips?

Yes. Start at go and take some classes on creative writing. You should be able to find some in community education organizations or local college offerings. These are typical of classes the colleges offer to the local community in night classes. Would you make an elaborate meal without tracking down recipe and collecting appropriate and good-quality kitchen equipment and ingredients first?

And I'd start with writing short stories rather than trilogies.

You might try the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass.

Even better, you can an autographed copy of No Plot? No Problem! and learn how to write a novel in 30 days even though you haven't the slightest idea what the plot's going to be.

Sorry, but you're not going to learn how to write by reading a book in isolation. You have to write, share it, and learn from reaction to it--and then write some more.

Gary is right, except on some level, it's probably a good idea to do both. I personally didn't read the Breakout novel, although I know people that did and they said it helped. Apparently it's more like some sort of hands on work sheet for writers. Conferences are good too... good interaction with other writers.

I should probably explain. I have four novels under my belt. One is out of print currently and another is due to be released as an Ebook shortly. I always manage to work my plot out eventually and I always have the basic story line when I start. It's the little things that help flesh a story out that I find difficult. I know if I write it'll all slot into place eventually, but my organised mind would rather have it all planned at the start. I was after any techniques any of you use while planning a book as Writer's block is a frequent companion of mine.