HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How many words is ENOUGH or TOO MUCH

I'm told that a good length for a first novel is about 90,000 words. Less than this might be running too short, and more than this, particularly in the case of a first time author, might be risky for the publisher or difficult to sell when it comes to an agent.

Any thoughts on this one?

If a person doesn't know, then this is the place to ask. Anyone?

Your title should read: How many words are enough or too much.

Watch out for these things. You detract from your writing by making such mistakes.

Trying to help. Good luck!

Depends on the genre. But 90,000 words would be. So would 80,000.

I've heard between 80,000 and 110,000.

I'm not an expert in the business, but still, if it were me, I'd go for quality of manuscript before being too picky about word count.

As many, or few, as necessary, to tell the story well.

I'm going to disagree on Rich and Frank with this one, at least a little. What both of you say makes complete sense. However and unfortunately, writing is a business. Publishers, as far as I can tell, rarely consider work that's too long by new authors, and many the same applies to authors that have been previously published. With the rising costs in the publishing industry, word count does make a difference, or at least I've been told this by two agents in the past.

Anyway, good luck!! I do happen to agree with Frank and Rich as to what should count. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case in this business.

Publishers, as far as I can tell, rarely consider work that's too long by new authors, and many the same applies to authors that have been previously published
    This is true. Also, as someone who has read books that were 200-300k, I can tell you right now: they did NOT have to be that long. There is no novel on earth that couldn't be edited down. Every word is not sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Clunan View Post
    I've heard between 80,000 and 110,000.

I'm not an expert in the business, but still, if it were me, I'd go for quality of manuscript before being too picky about word count.
    If you were in the business and forced to think about the business, you probably would be more concerned about wordage--especially anything way too short or way too long. There are cost efficiencies attached to pages (actually signatures--groups of pages) in a print book. You do have to consider the profitability and marketability of the project to stay in business. You can't just publish the best manuscript of any sort you can find.

Four.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I enjoyed that, John Hawkwood.