HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Agent Location

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    28

    Agent Location

    I have been sending query letters to agents in varying states. I have received interest in my book. But, the agents are not in New York. I have never been able to catch the eyes of any New York agents. I wonder if this in saying something about the caliber of my book? Can New York agents give better representation?



  2. #2
    Senior Member C Bets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,265
    Better than who?
    Cindy

    And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by C Bets View Post
    Better than who?
    Agent location. Than agents in other states.

  4. #4
    Senior Member C Bets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,265
    Well, let's start here. Anyone represented by an agent from a state other than New York? If so, how satisfied were/are you, and what's your take on this?
    Cindy

    And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,142
    Lauren, where are you finding your agents names? While many of the more successful agents work in New York, some work elsewhere; case in point: Kristen Nelson, who lives and works in Colorado. That said, I believe the chances of obtaining a dud agent increase the farther one roams from the Big Apple, and I would be doubly chary of anyone I had not thoroughly vetted.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Frank Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,168
    If the agent has a track record (repping authors whose names you recognize or can find on bookstore shelves) it probably doesn't makes too much nevermind where they plug in their computer. But all else being equal, I think I'd feel comfier with one who's at least within an easy commute of NY, Toronto or LA. That makes it easier to knosh with publishing poobahs over copious martinis.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Towne View Post
    I have been sending query letters to agents in varying states. I have received interest in my book. But, the agents are not in New York. I have never been able to catch the eyes of any New York agents. I wonder if this in saying something about the caliber of my book? Can New York agents give better representation?
    It could say something about the content of your book. Does it have a heavy regional application?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    Lauren, where are you finding your agents names? While many of the more successful agents work in New York, some work elsewhere; case in point: Kristen Nelson, who lives and works in Colorado. That said, I believe the chances of obtaining a dud agent increase the farther one roams from the Big Apple, and I would be doubly chary of anyone I had not thoroughly vetted.
    Thank you so much jayce. I have been thinking the exact same thing about agents outside of the New York area.

    I have found agents on Publishers Marketplace and other on other sites. By, the way I have heard great things about Kristen Nelson, but she turned my query down. I have tried to be cautious by investigating every agent before I send out any queries. I just heard from an agency yesterday. The owner contacted my and asked for a book proposal. I thought that was strange because I just sent the agency my query on Monday. Oh! This agent is not from New York. But, I digress. Now I am wondering if my book is up to par. I guess I am having first time writer’s jitters.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,866
    Book proposals are generally for non-fiction unless you've been previously published and the agent/editor has a relationship with you or is interested in working with you. Is this fiction or non-fiction?

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Jena Grace View Post
    Book proposals are generally for non-fiction unless you've been previously published and the agent/editor has a relationship with you or is interested in working with you. Is this fiction or non-fiction?
    It's non-fiction

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts