HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Agent Location

Agent Location

I have been sending query letters to agents in varying states. I have received interest in my book. But, the agents are not in New York. I have never been able to catch the eyes of any New York agents. I wonder if this in saying something about the caliber of my book? Can New York agents give better representation?

Better than who?
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

Quote Originally Posted by C Bets View Post
    Better than who?
    Agent location. Than agents in other states.

Well, let's start here. Anyone represented by an agent from a state other than New York? If so, how satisfied were/are you, and what's your take on this?
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

Lauren, where are you finding your agents names? While many of the more successful agents work in New York, some work elsewhere; case in point: Kristen Nelson, who lives and works in Colorado. That said, I believe the chances of obtaining a dud agent increase the farther one roams from the Big Apple, and I would be doubly chary of anyone I had not thoroughly vetted.

If the agent has a track record (repping authors whose names you recognize or can find on bookstore shelves) it probably doesn't makes too much nevermind where they plug in their computer. But all else being equal, I think I'd feel comfier with one who's at least within an easy commute of NY, Toronto or LA. That makes it easier to knosh with publishing poobahs over copious martinis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Towne View Post
    I have been sending query letters to agents in varying states. I have received interest in my book. But, the agents are not in New York. I have never been able to catch the eyes of any New York agents. I wonder if this in saying something about the caliber of my book? Can New York agents give better representation?
    It could say something about the content of your book. Does it have a heavy regional application?

Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    Lauren, where are you finding your agents names? While many of the more successful agents work in New York, some work elsewhere; case in point: Kristen Nelson, who lives and works in Colorado. That said, I believe the chances of obtaining a dud agent increase the farther one roams from the Big Apple, and I would be doubly chary of anyone I had not thoroughly vetted.
    Thank you so much jayce. I have been thinking the exact same thing about agents outside of the New York area.

I have found agents on Publishers Marketplace and other on other sites. By, the way I have heard great things about Kristen Nelson, but she turned my query down. I have tried to be cautious by investigating every agent before I send out any queries. I just heard from an agency yesterday. The owner contacted my and asked for a book proposal. I thought that was strange because I just sent the agency my query on Monday. Oh! This agent is not from New York. But, I digress. Now I am wondering if my book is up to par. I guess I am having first time writer’s jitters.

Book proposals are generally for non-fiction unless you've been previously published and the agent/editor has a relationship with you or is interested in working with you. Is this fiction or non-fiction?

Quote Originally Posted by Jena Grace View Post
    Book proposals are generally for non-fiction unless you've been previously published and the agent/editor has a relationship with you or is interested in working with you. Is this fiction or non-fiction?
    It's non-fiction