HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Satirical Mystery

So, is there really such a thing as a satirical mystery, or would I be better off just labeling my novel a satire? I'm not sure what direction to go on that one..

Visit Barnes & Noble (or Books-a-Million or whichever one hasn't closed yet). Browse the aisles. When you find a rack—crime, comedy, history, etc.—where you feel your work best fits, that's your genre. At this point in the process (I assume you're at the querying stage), the genre you choose serves only to help the agent frame her take on your story when she reads your query; you want to be close so as not to mislead her. If you sell your book, your publisher's marketing department will decide the genre in which they're going promote it. What you said in your query letter will be long forgotten, usually along with your working title.

I agree with Jayce.

But I got a goldern question. In your mind, what makes your tale a satirical mystery? I'm not being snotty.

Tell us in one paragraph what makes your tale satire.

Cur

Satire is not really a genre. It's a literary technique applied within a genre. So, I'd call your novel a mystery.