HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I hate the synopsis

I hate writing a SYNOPSIS! Sorry... just had to get that out of my system. I've been stuck on mine for a week..

Amy Lou
    Yep it's torture!! All of it's torture! The query, the synopsis, the first chapter that has to grab, the first paragraph that has to grab, the first sentence that has to grab! Don't give up though! Good luck JD
    Amylou

Thanks Amy. The novel and query is ironed out, but I've been procrastinating on the synopsis like its the end of the world or something... lol..

Amy Lou
    I seem to be on a treadmill. You know, thinking the book was done, writing the query, then synopsis, then What? My book's no good, so I go back to the book, rewrite the first chapter, then second chapter, then think, this sucks, no one wants paranormal romance, what the hell! Then start another book about some redneck trailer trash, that'll do it! LOL So, I'm getting no where!

Hope you're doing better than me! Sounds like you are!
    Last edited by Amy Lou; 09-29-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Don't write a synopsis if you don't have to. Lot's... many... some agents don't like to read them any more than writers like to write them, and hence don't request them. Check your prospective agents' submission requirements; if they don't say, "attach synopsis", or some such, well, there you go. (Of course, if an agent emails you to submit your amazingly brilliant manuscript, along with a ten-page synopsis, you'll know the meaning of the term "deadline".)

On the other hand, Google can point to a zillion sites on how to compose a synopsis. The best we at Writers.net can do is critique them.

Good luck.

Amy. Do you have ADD? lol

I feel your pain. When I was querying, I purposely picked the agents who didn't ask for one. I've since learned how to do one.

Amy Lou
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tinman View Post
    Amy. Do you have ADD? lol
    Uh, Tinman, why would you ask that?
    Yeah, I suspect I do, but not diagnosed! LOL
    And it's getting worse!

Jena and Jayce make good points.

Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    Don't write a synopsis if you don't have to. Lot's... many... some agents don't like to read them any more than writers like to write them, and hence don't request them. Check your prospective agents' submission requirements; if they don't say, "attach synopsis", or some such, well, there you go. (Of course, if an agent emails you to submit your amazingly brilliant manuscript, along with a ten-page synopsis, you'll know the meaning of the term "deadline".)
    On the other hand, Google can point to a zillion sites on how to compose a synopsis. The best we at Writers.net can do is critique them.

Good luck.
    Thanks Jayce. However, I noticed that quite a few agents ask for a synopsis, and in the end I'm thinking you'd have to write one... or meet that deadline as you put it... in either case, so I've been trying to get it over with. I'm way STUCK though in the middle of it. I'm taking your advice and going to check out some google sites... thanks!

I'm sure you're a very good writer Amy... What is your book about?