HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Administrator

Does Every Writer Need a Gertrude Stein?

Finally had a chance to see Woody Allen’s “Midnight in Paris”, and it reminded me of the impact that Gertrude Stein had on Hemingway’s development. Without her stewardship, there’s some doubt whether or not he would have found his way as a writer. Another example is Raymond Carver—I was stunned after reading that New Yorker article about how Gordon Lish edited his stories into relative perfection. Without Lish, Carver appeared directionless. Do you think that in addition to community critiques (workshops, fellow writers, friends, etc.) that every writer needs one continuous (skilled) mentor to help find the writer’s voice, form and style?

Well, I'm working on a near neighbor, John Gresham. So far he's awarded one of my short stories in a contest he judges, but I'm working on getting more than a "good morning" from him in passing at the grocery store.

It was a good movie, wasn't it, Rich!

I think 'if it's in the cards" (i.e. written in our Blueprints before we incarnate, woo-woo), we'll meet the perfect Gertrude --or the love of our life, etc. --when the time is right. In the meanwhile, going within and listening to our intuition is said to work pretty well too.

"To dream the impossible dream...." Tra-la.

*_*

Gary, do you mean John Grisham . Gresham died some centuries ago

Quote Originally Posted by Debbi Voisey View Post
    Gary, do you mean John Grisham . Gresham died some centuries ago
    Yeah, I saw that I had misspelled his name--but too late to correct it. Thanks.

There's a John D. Gresham who lives in Fairfax, Va, according to Twitter. Seems to be a writer too.

http://twitter.com/#!/greshamj01

*_*

No, no, I'm pretty sure it's THE John Grisham I've encountered between the radishes and the tomatos at the Barracks Road Kroger in Charlottesville.

Here's the newspaper announcement of my third-place finish this year in the short story contest he judges: http://www.readthehook.com/89343/plo...-their-fiction

Impressive interview, Gary. Darn it, though...you weren't in with the action boys? "I didn't work for the secret side of the CIA, but the news agency."

Your "Fire On Ice" story reminded me of a really bright red lipstick from years ago. Maybe nowadays they just call it by another name -- why would they chuck a half-way decent formula, right?

*_*