HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I just realized that my response didn't make sense. LOL. Must have been tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Anderson View Post
    I just realized that my response didn't make sense. LOL. Must have been tired.
    It make perfect sense to me, lol.

JD, authors who have already published novels generally aren't seeking agents because, chances are, they already have one--so the vast majority of queries are from unpublished authors. Most of the authors I know who found agents were all previously unpublished. I had no publishing credits at all (in fact, I said nothing at all about myself in my query letter) and I found an agent.

I was here a few years ago, and I did have a fiancee, but we never did get hitched, and also I don't remember ever talking about her on here, but who knows? Do I know you? Anyway, we're not together for a long time..

Quote Originally Posted by Jena Grace View Post
    It make perfect sense to me, lol.

JD, authors who have already published novels generally aren't seeking agents because, chances are, they already have one--so the vast majority of queries are from unpublished authors. Most of the authors I know who found agents were all previously unpublished. I had no publishing credits at all (in fact, I said nothing at all about myself in my query letter) and I found an agent.
    That's true Jena. I guess what I'm trying to say is agents, less and less, are taking on new unpublished clients, or at least it seems that way to me. I had an agent some time ago but wasn't getting any results. I decided to look elsewhere right now. Some years ago I got an in with Maria Carvainis, who I consider to be an exceptional agent, but that didn't quite pan out in the end.

Anyway... DREAMS do ome true, so never say die!

AHso, it is you! Yeah, we definitely discussed your plans here at WN. I remember suggesting it would be better if you held off asking her until Mercury went direct, or something.

Well, things always work out for the best, 'tis said.

(And it's just as well you don't remember me. )

*_*

lol... maybe you're right. I seem to remember something about that Mercury thing now that you mention it. How's things in New York?

I could not agree more with this thread. I hooked three different agents, each one a "step up" on the ladder--first one small, second one mid-sized, third one huge and wonderful; I felt that giddy thrill in my heart and stomach signing the contract. She subbed me to about 10 publishers and I got raves such as "a masterful storyteller," "reads like a classic" and "I couldn't put it down" (real quotes from huge houses) but I was rejected for two reasons: One, I was a debut author and Two, they didn't "fully fall in love" with every single moment of the book--something they would edit for anyone who wasn't a debut author. These are the days of the bookstore shutdown. No one wants to take a risk on someone who might not sell, and anyone new has the potential to flop.

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireBlue View Post
    I could not agree more with this thread. I hooked three different agents, each one a "step up" on the ladder--first one small, second one mid-sized, third one huge and wonderful; I felt that giddy thrill in my heart and stomach signing the contract. She subbed me to about 10 publishers and I got raves such as "a masterful storyteller," "reads like a classic" and "I couldn't put it down" (real quotes from huge houses) but I was rejected for two reasons: One, I was a debut author and Two, they didn't "fully fall in love" with every single moment of the book--something they would edit for anyone who wasn't a debut author. These are the days of the bookstore shutdown. No one wants to take a risk on someone who might not sell, and anyone new has the potential to flop.
    Unfortunately, that is the reality of the publishing world. A few years ago I thought the arrival of the internet or devices such as Kindle might shut the industry down altogether. They pushed for that to happen. After all, it's much easier and cheaper for publishing companies to have someone download a book on a Kindle that put it out there on the shelf. However the book industry is still around and often I'm amazed at how many people you still find in a bookstore. But I do agree very much with you Sapphire. It's certainly not impossible to get published and the arrival of new authors happens. However, few want to take a chance these days whether it's quality work or not. Sometimes it just takes being in the right place at the right time. Don't give up though! Dreams to happen. If your book is that good, you might try a writer's conference. From the agent side of things, they're much more responsive in face to face meetings.

Thank you for the support. Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere and the only conference out here is not pitch-oriented. Nonetheless, I've managed to snag 3 agents. I am now writing another book and hope to snag the fourth one. Thanks for the supportive words.

I agree that happens a lot. It's hard to get anywhere without a "Previous Best-Seller" sticker attached to you. I had a work published with great reviews, but due to using a small independent publisher it isn't getting much press. I gave up on landing an established agent mostly because I just couldn't get them to take a look at it.
    Do what I'm doing... keep gathering what positive feedback you can and plodding forward. The best scenario is one I'm hoping for: that one day I will land a serious agent for one of my manuscripts that will get my works noticed. Then perhaps there will be some retroactive success for my other titles.

Keep trying and keep telling yourself that when some agent FINALLY decides to give your work a chance and it all works out, it'll be the other guys' loss.