HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Online Critique Groups That Allow Minors

I've had trouble finding critique groups online that allow minors. Almost everything I could find required writers to be 18 years or older. My biggest weaknesses in creative writing are making dialogue sound natural and showing instead of telling. The problems with forums is that I don't get responses that often. On one forum, I posted a piece of work last month and got NO responses. If anyone can think of a writing critique group that'll allow minors (not necessarily a well-known group), that would be great.

Sunayna: There's no age limit (lower or upper) on Writers.net. Young writers frequently post here, and most of the time no one knows how old they are (and can't know, if the writer doesn't tell us).

Suggest you go the New Members Forum and read the post on Terms of Service; if you can live within those guide lines, you've found a home.

A couple of caveats: the posts on Writers.net are pretty clean (language wise), but it's an open forum. Anyone can post any thing. Second warning: as far as critiques are concerned, no one will cut you any slack because of your age. Good writing is good writing is age-independent.

Good luck, and welcome.

Okay. I could do that.

Hey Sunayna, well done for pursuing your writing dream at such a young age! I wish I had done that.
    You are not the only one who struggles with the 'show don't tell' rule either (me too). Have you tried reading your dialogue aloud to see how it sounds?

Critters.org allows minors to participate, but most of the writing is fantasy/SF.

Jeanne

That's why I couldn't join it. I wasn't sure if they'd critique children's books or magic realism books.

Amy Lou
    Hi Sunayna~ I had no idea when I read and critiqued your recent post that you were under 18. I think that's a very good thing, your writer's voice sounded mature. Fantastic! Keep writing and your skill will soon match up to your voice. I think the best way to get critiques is to give them. I haven't looked to see if you've done this, you may have. And I also know when you're new to a forum and feel inexperienced about giving a critique it can be scary to do so. Susan B just read my post and offered a great critique admitting she felt not as experienced as others on this forum. I appreciated her critique anyway because she's a reader and she knows what she likes even if she's unable to pick it apart. I suggest you jump in and critique, pointing out what you like and what sounds unnatural to you. That's also a great way to become a better writer, reading others work! Good luck Sunayna and I hope you stick around
    Amylou