HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Foyle View Post
    So did mine. When he died, my mother inherited tons of them. He'd write fascinating stuff like, "40 below today. Car wouldn't start." The weather seemed to interest him immensely. And whenever one of us kids said something corny (usually moi), he'd exclaim, "That's one for the book!" We always knew what book he was talking about.

I dunno what happened to them all. Maybe my sister has them stashed away in a garage or somewhere. Or else my mother threw them out.

*_*
    My surprise find on my dad was that, after he died--unexpectedly and dramatically (and I'd flown home from Bangkok for the funeral and to help my mother sort through everything), I got irritated one day with her because she was playing the same records over and over again on the record player--a men's quartet of Western songs like "Cool Water," and "They Called the Wind Mariah" and "Tumbling, Tumbling Tumbleweed." I'd finally had enough and asked my mother why she was playing the records, which I'd never heard before, over and over again--and she said it was because my father was in the quartet--that'd he'd been a radio singer before he went into the army and shipped off for WWII. That's when she gave me his journals. I certainly would have liked to have read those and talked to him about his life before he died--which he didn't talk much about because the two and a half wars (he was in the fray but not on the front lines for Vietnam) he'd been through made him not want to talk much at all about the past. The kicker was that I was a singer too--and actor. Had my equity card and everything, and I'd always assumed my father looked down on that. My mother said no, that he was the one who arranged for my audition at Arena Stage in Washington, D.C., when all along I had assumed it had been her, because, as far as I knew, she was the artsy parent.

So go out and find those journals of your loved ones now and give them a read while you can still get a discussion from them.

Wow, Gary. Yes, it would have been wonderful to know all that while your dad was alive. But, at least you got to know some really great things about your dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kessler View Post
    I got irritated one day with her because she was playing the same records over and over again on the record player--a men's quartet of Western songs like "Cool Water," and "They Called the Wind Mariah" and "Tumbling, Tumbling Tumbleweed." I'd finally had enough and asked my mother why she was playing the records, which I'd never heard before, over and over again--and she said it was because my father was in the quartet--that'd he'd been a radio singer before he went into the army and shipped off for WWII.
    I've always loved the Sons of the Pioneers (and Roy Rogers!) singing "Cool Water" and "Tumbling Tumbleweed." Here's a terrific Youtube tribute to them (if you're up to feeling irritated again, Gary. ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uRJHV4A_Q8

*_*

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Foyle View Post
    I've always loved the Sons of the Pioneers (and Roy Rogers!) singing "Cool Water" and "Tumbling Tumbleweed." Here's a terrific Youtube tribute to them (if you're up to feeling irritated again, Gary. ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uRJHV4A_Q8

*_*

I wasn't irritated at the music; I was irritated with the repetition. I thought that it was connected to her declarations she might as well commit suicide--and I only had so many days to steady the boat before I had to be back in Bangkok.

Oh, okay!

*_*

I keep travel journals too - I had no idea that my job was going to develop into such a globetrotting one, so lately I've begun to collate them and bring them all together (some are in dedicated journals others are just scattered entries in more general notebooks). And these travel journals are also an aspect of a new blog I recently began. I've been toying with the idea of scribbling something more biographical about myself and my family too - I wrote a piece on my grandparents, recording things I'd heard about them (which I don't think are recorded anywhere else), as well as my own memories of them. A couple of years ago I transcribed my great-grandfather's first world war journal (just a few entries at the start of the war - he was told to stop writing it by a senior officer). I'm a qualified anthropologist and history is my line of work so this kind of thing naturally fascinates me - I love hearing other people's histories. It's amazing how many surprises and revelations some people have to relate in what and how they've learnt about their own families as they get older.

Great story, Gary.

How do you get a blog not to be babble?