HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Administrator

Books About Writing

Most of you have probably read countless books about writing, but I wanted to include a few that I thought were particularly helpful. The first is John Gardner’s “The Art of Fiction”. His book is dry and a little depressing (especially when he suggests that anyone can figure out the form and that most writers are churning out garbage), but many of the basic insights are spot on. I think you have to read Gardner, learn some basic rules before your break them, and then put it aside. A book I liked better is the Rust Hills book, “Writing in General and the Short Story in Particular”. Rust doesn’t use a lot of terminology, and his approach is more intuitive, but he does define components that every good story needs. He championed many famous writers at Esquire. Hope these help. Feel free to post more.

Christie Bremmer
    I like the books by James N. Frey. I followed his advice on writing thrillers almost to the letter, and it made the process that much easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Write-Damn-Thr.../dp/0312575076

Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass was very informative.

"Stein on Writing" by former writer/publisher (Stein & Day)/consultant Sol Stein is an excellent reference book. Also, "Story" by Robert McKee; it's aimed more at screenplays, but its dissection of the mechanics of story development applies to novels as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Christie Bremmer View Post
    I like the books by James N. Frey.
    James Frey, as in "A Million Little Pieces?" Or, is this another JF?
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

Different.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    "Stein on Writing" by former writer/publisher (Stein & Day)/consultant Sol Stein is an excellent reference book. Also, "Story" by Robert McKee; it's aimed more at screenplays, but its dissection of the mechanics of story development applies to novels as well.
    I read "Story" and agree on the mechanics point; I also enjoyed his 'cameo' in the movie "Adaptation", especially when Nic Cage asks about writing a story where nothing much happens...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    I read "Story" and agree on the mechanics point; I also enjoyed his 'cameo' in the movie "Adaptation", especially when Nic Cage asks about writing a story where nothing much happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Christie Bremmer View Post
    I like the books by James N. Frey. I followed his advice on writing thrillers almost to the letter, and it made the process that much easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Write-Damn-Thr.../dp/0312575076
    As long as you don't depend on him to teach you how to write a memoir.

Quote Originally Posted by Jena Grace View Post
    As long as you don't depend on him to teach you how to write a memoir.
    Jena - see above.
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should