HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: WN Site Update

Administrator

WN Site Update

I apologize for the delay in posting any additional information as we move through our new transition, but as we are all aware, the site is under attack by what appears to be a user or users with malicious intent. We appreciate your patience as we are investigating the technical and legal aspects of this issue with corporate resources, and encourage you not to engage with anyone whom you suspect has the primary intent of causing harm to the site or its users. Instead, please report the posts to the admins.

By the end of the week, or early next, we will be posting new rules. In advance of those rules, here are a few reminders:

If you are here to help create a positive environment at WN, have a genuine interest in writing, etc., you are welcome to stay. If you’re here to make trouble, and it appears your primary agenda is geared toward pointlessly attacking the site or its users, we will take action. This includes, among many other things, the creation of fake user profiles to generate friends or credibility or to use fake profiles as vessels to prompt antagonism.

We want to allow everyone a fair opportunity to stay and contribute, so the site will continue without the auto-moderation of posts.

Lastly, we have no issues if members have disagreements. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. All we ask is that you respect each other.

Thanks and happy writing.

You're a good man, Rich.

And you make a fine retired cop.

*_*

We want to allow everyone a fair opportunity to stay and contribute, so the site will continue without moderation
    Could someone please give us the subtext here (especially the "without moderation" part)?... Thanks.

---------

AND a follow-up question: continue without moderation for how long?
    Last edited by jayce; 09-13-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Support Team
    He's referring to the auto-moderation feature of the site where new accounts have to be manually approved for their posts to be seen. I updated the text to reflect that.

We will still have humans moderating the site for issues and to answer questions.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the clarification.

the site is under attack by what appears to be a user or users with malicious intent

That's a good way to phrase it. It certainly has felt like an attack.

Siu Ling
    I've PMed Rich because I am getting increasingly frustrated, and this announcement hasn't helped. I am a newbie, I like to participate, am a chatterbox and will post what I think. I will accept friendship request without thought and will chatter to anyone willing to chatter back. Feeling like the only newbie who posts is depressing, feeling like people may think I am someone I am not is getting to my head.

I will just assume I will be ignored. Thank you.

Senior Member Miranda Clementine's Avatar
    I don't know why you assume anyone is talking about you, Siu. If someone thought it was you, you'd probably be banned by now.

If you are here to help create a positive environment at WN, have a genuine interest in writing, etc., you are welcome to stay. If you’re here to make trouble, and it appears your primary agenda is geared toward pointlessly attacking the site or its users, we will take action. This includes, among many other things, the creation of fake user profiles to generate friends or credibility or to use fake profiles as vessels to prompt antagonism.

Do you not plan on helping to create a positive environment at WN?

Are you not here only because you have a genuine interest in writing?

Are you planning on causing a disturbance just for the fun of it?

Are you sending out friend requests to every newbie that signs up?

If the answers are no, then no one is pointing their fingers at you. There is a person who used to be a member who has been trying to bring this site down since April or May, I can't remember the time exactly. That is who the warning is geared toward, not just every random newbie. And if you feel like you are being ignored, we all feel that way from time to time.

Keep on being chatty, I'm sure you'll find something that we all wanna chat about.
    Last edited by Miranda Clementine; 09-13-2011 at 08:14 PM.
    Even those who make their living in dreamland must do their chores in the real world.
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

Siu Ling, I'm not certain—because I don't have the same access that the moderators have—but I'm pretty sure you're not the only newbie who posts. In the past few days, I myself have either commented on or at least read posts put by several new members; a couple were query letters, and two (from the same member) were writing samples. So be at ease, respond to critique requests when you want, post something new, or be... chatty. Just remember, this is a public forum; no one is required to respond to other posts, and sometimes you may be the only one logged on. So don't let it get to you if it seems you're not being "noticed". You are, and as other members become more familiar with your style, you'll be assimilated as well.

Hope this helps.

Siu Ling
    @Miranda, @jayce,

I just found the above announcement newbie-unfriendly, and yes, I do feel targeted. All this paranoia is getting to me.

I would have preferred something telling us the they are aware "the site is under attack by what appears to be a user or users with malicious intent", that it is currently being delt with actively, that the troublemakers have been notified, that existing members should PM any concerns rather than post them in threads, and that "We want to allow everyone a fair opportunity to stay and contribute, so the site will continue without the auto-moderation of posts. " And maybe all newbies should be warmly welcomed.

Maybe I am expecting too much.

I'm beginning to get suspicious of myself and everyone now.

Anyway, I've said enough, so please ignore me, I'm inclined to ignore myself. I'm just adding to the problems.