HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Query opinions

You answered my question then on where the paragraphs should be placed because I was in a debate about that, along with some of the other issues. Thanks for the advice.

I was told once by an agent that they'd like the wordage and genre up front, which is why I used that as the first paragraph. However, I heard other opinions that it was better to get right into the meat of the story. I'm really not sure about this one, or maybe it just depends on the agent. Thanks for the advice.

I definitely think at least the first sentence needs to be omitted, Jeff. Agents know why you're querying; you don't need to explain. Starting out with the second paragraph would certainly be preferable.

As far as the genre, I can't say. You know more about the story than I do and if you think mystery satire is the right description, then I don't know why you couldn't use it; unless, of course, "satirical mystery" would be more accurate? I've never heard of either, so don't take my word for it. LOL
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

Quote Originally Posted by J D View Post
    I was told once by an agent that they'd like the wordage and genre up front, which is why I used that as the first paragraph. However, I heard other opinions that it was better to get right into the meat of the story. I'm really not sure about this one, or maybe it just depends on the agent. Thanks for the advice.
    As you never know in advance which the agent prefers, there's not much you can do. But you really can't go wrong by starting with a strong hook.

Quote Originally Posted by J D View Post
    ... and I like cats.
    As do all intelligent people.

*_*