HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Miranda Clementine's Avatar
    That's right, I forgot about all the gatherings.

That's neat about your novels, hopefully you'll add another win and novel to your list. ;-)
    Even those who make their living in dreamland must do their chores in the real world.
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda Clementine View Post
    That's right, I forgot about all the gatherings.

That's neat about your novels, hopefully you'll add another win and novel to your list. ;-)
    From your mouth to God's ear.

I used to. Alas, the last three times I did my books got stalled somewhere between 50 and 60K. That's enough to win, but they're still unfinished.

Gary, all of that make-work is intended to help people who aren't disciplined enough to keep writing without constant goading or rewards. The only constraints are that you must not start until after midnight (local time) on October 31 and you must upload at least 50,000 words by local midnight on November 30. What you upload is run through a word counter for verification and deleted. No human being connected with the contest ever sees any of it, to make sure your work's protected. When I participated, the only activity I engaged in there was keeping my public word count updated and following the various forums both for ideas and to make helpful suggestions to others.

Siu Ling
    Thanks for the reminder Jena. I completely forgot about it this year. I wanted to have my WIP at a certain point and use Nanowrimo for an extra shove in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Zeff View Post
    Gary, all of that make-work is intended to help people who aren't disciplined enough to keep writing without constant goading or rewards. The only constraints are that you must not start until after midnight (local time) on October 31 and you must upload at least 50,000 words by local midnight on November 30. What you upload is run through a word counter for verification and deleted. No human being connected with the contest ever sees any of it, to make sure your work's protected. When I participated, the only activity I engaged in there was keeping my public word count updated and following the various forums both for ideas and to make helpful suggestions to others.
    Yes, I know it's useful for some--and I said so. The question of the thread was whether those responding to the thread were going to do it this year. I was contemplating doing it, because I have a novel coming up to write in November, but when I went to the Web site, I got the impression that it was largely a group hug--which I don't need. Hence my response that I'd do the writing but not within the NanNo structure. Thanks for the rundown on the parameters, though. I didn't find them in a scan of the Web site home page.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kessler View Post
    Yes, I know it's useful for some--and I said so. The question of the thread was whether those responding to the thread were going to do it this year. I was contemplating doing it, because I have a novel coming up to write in November, but when I went to the Web site, I got the impression that it was largely a group hug--which I don't need. Hence my response that I'd do the writing but not within the NanNo structure. Thanks for the rundown on the parameters, though. I didn't find them in a scan of the Web site home page.
    You don't have to do the group hug thing, lol. In fact I rarely participate on the board at all--I just write my a$$ off, and occasionally attended a local get-together or two (which is difficult with my work schedule). I don't really need encouragement from anyone--I just need that firm goal to keep me going non-stop for one month out of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jena Grace View Post
    You don't have to do the group hug thing, lol. In fact I rarely participate on the board at all--I just write my a$$ off, and occasionally attended a local get-together or two (which is difficult with my work schedule). I don't really need encouragement from anyone--I just need that firm goal to keep me going non-stop for one month out of the year.
    I'm so happy I don't have to do anything. My publisher handles the "giving me firm goals" quite well.

Mine gives me kind suggestions.

I think i'm going to try it again. Almost made the goal last year, but dang, if Thanksgiving didn't get in the way. lol (prep, family, travel...kids off school). Makes it a hard to write past 11/20 or so.