HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pacing in Video Games (Applies to Writing Too)

Here's an interesting video about pacing in video games. Most of it applies to writing too.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/episode-07-pacing

Amy Lou
    That was great Nathan! I think I'll spend some more time in my husband's Star Wars/Video Game Man Cave! Might help with the writing. Funny stuff

Visiting Tralfamadore
    I'm still learning to pace myself. That's an obstacle I've learned keeps me from finishing some of my WIPs. It's comparable to a person suffering from OCD - training myself to focus all of my attention to one goal is very difficult.
    Last edited by Robin Teeter; 09-10-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: :)

Visiting Tralfamadore
    I can certainly relate to the "burnout" factor.

Senior Member Miranda Clementine's Avatar
    Video games, ah ha, that's where I get my natural knack for pacing. My MSs may still need work, but it seems I've followed all the rules on pacing or at least it is what I've been striving for. I hadn't even picked up a book on plotting before I finished my first few MSs, and when I did, I was surprised that I was already following the bookd rules. (:

Anyway, about the video. It was funny, poor Chewy didn't get a effin' medal, and straight to the point.

The reference to survival horror games took me back to the first time I played Resident Evil. That game scared the crap out of me. I was afraid to open the next door half the time cuz I didn't know what would be jumping out on me next! And the vibration of the controller didnt' help either. I don't have time for those games anymore because the stories can suck you right in, and just like a good novel, you don't want to put it down until it's over.
    Even those who make their living in dreamland must do their chores in the real world.
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

Amy Lou
    What????? No one likes to play video games?? Where are my peeps at? Why is this place so dead??? Well, I suppose it is a Saturday night, and I just spent mine in a clubhouse that belongs to a trailer park. An 88th Birthday party for my grandmother, catered by Bojangles and a dude that sings in a mic, accompanied by an electronic band on his freakin' laptop!!! Freakin' pathetic!!! And he even sells CD, but they're blank! No label!! LOL But I went because I love my G~maw and it was all in the name of research for my novel Hollar Dollar!

Maybe more will have comments on pacing tomorrow!!! Until then Miss PacMan gets the cherry!!!

Amylouwho

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lou View Post
    But I went because I love my G~maw and it was all in the name of research for my novel Hollar Dollar!
    That's great, Amy. I can so picture the event. Research can be fun!

I think everyone was more into the drama than plot talk today. (:

Until then Miss PacMan gets the cherry!!!
    Are you sure you don't mean it was Mr. Pac-Man who got the cherry?
    Even those who make their living in dreamland must do their chores in the real world.
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

Amy Lou
    Hehe!!!! I love you girl!!! YES!! Miss Pacman has the CHERRY that Mr. Pac~Man wants!! LOL What is wrong with our minds???

Wanka Wanka!

What is wrong with our minds???

Wanka Wanka!
    Haha, luv ya 2 Girly!! But nothing's wrong at all, just don't think about it too hard... lol
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

Amy Lou
    Did you say "Hard"? Hehe, you said Hard!! LOL!! I tell you, I have the mind of a teenage boy! Somebody help me!! LOL

Okay, I'm over it and going to bed! Goodnight!