HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan N. View Post
    It bothered me how King dangled the story of his accident in front of the reader like a carrot in his ON WRITING WELL book.
    Wonder why it bothered you. For a writer (and most everyone else) it's a natural separation point in life--he very nearly died from the accident and was messed up for a long time. It would be natural to treat it as such in his writing life.

Cat
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan N. View Post
    It bothered me how King dangled the story of his accident in front of the reader like a carrot in his ON WRITING WELL book.
    How was it a carrot?

As I recall, half the book was on his life as a writer and half was on the craft itself. Wouldn't it have been odd if he'd left it out? Personally, I learned more about writing from how he describes it than anything he wrote on the craft, being as it was the best piece of writing he ever did IMO.

It's been a while, so my recollection is hazy. Essentially, he kept mentioning a big incident all through the book. I suspect, given his preferred genre, that he just couldn't help himself and had to build suspense. It felt clumsy to me. I have no problem with the inclusion of the accident, but I do remember being annoyed by the build up to it.

Of course, that's just my opinion, probably tinted by the fact that I'm not a fan of his writing.