HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Robin Teeter

Characters, Plot Structure, Viewpoints

I've read many articles and books regarding the above, and wonder if anybody here has read works authored by Gioa, Gwynn, James Scott Bell and Nancy Kress? If so, what opinions do you have re their exercises and techniques for crafting dynamic stories, characters' emotions and viewpoints.

Thank you for your input.

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries
    James Scott Bell's Plot & Structure is excellent, IMO.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

Robin Teeter
    Thanks, Keith. I've been told the same from a few friends and I'm glad other writers find these books beneficial.

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Teeter View Post
    Thanks, Keith. I've been told the same from a few friends and I'm glad other writers find these books beneficial.
    That's one of the few my agent recommends. Then again, maybe she just thought I needed it! Still, it's a great guide.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

Then again, maybe she just thought I needed it!
    Ha, ha, I doubt it. Otherwise she wouldn't be your agent.

I haven't really read many works on how others do it, and, strangely enough, the creative writing classes I've taken haven't pushed reading lists on technique either. What I have read I've just sort of permitted to meld into everything else and I don't remember much where I got the advice. It either resonates or doesn't or surfaces as relevant at the moment or doesn't. I think a writer can spend more time mimicking others than developing their own styles and techniques that satisfy them and seem to work with a set of readers. I write from my own emotions/experiences/inspirations. What I like in reading works on writing by established authors is the backgrounds on their inspirations for writing their works--and the influences on their lives that have come out in their works.

This doesn't mean that reading primers and doing exercises can't work for someone else.

Nancy Kress used to publish a good fiction column in Writer's Digest. I don't know if she's still with them, as I no longer subscribe. Lawrence Block, also a former columnist, has a terrific book called Telling Lies for Fun and Profit, which addresses almost all of the common craft issues in fiction. It's one of my favorites.

Jeanne

Robin Teeter
    Thanks, Gary. I've not taken a creative writing course but found the above authors shared common interests and goals. No doubt each and every one of us has our own unique style and that's what I find interesting in comparing apples to oranges. They're all fruits. Some are more acidic and some are merely derived from others' published works of art.

I can't compliment Jeanne enough. I wish there were more here like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Teeter View Post
    Thanks, Gary. I've not taken a creative writing course but found the above authors shared common interests and goals. No doubt each and every one of us has our own unique style and that's what I find interesting in comparing apples to oranges. They're all fruits. Some are more acidic and some are merely derived from others' published works of art.

I can't compliment Jeanne enough. I wish there were more here like you.
    I don't go to very many creative writing courses either. Just sort of do my own thing. *smile*

Red face

Whoa! Thanks, Robin. That's very sweet. *blushing*

Jeanne