HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith . View Post
    No offense, but I don't want WN to become a prominent writing community. It's already halfway to becoming just another Absolute Write with the bouncy bear-shooting star-smiley freakin' face emoticrap and animation. If someone doesn't like legit, constructive criticism they boo hoo until every post they've ever made is deleted and, of course, any criticism of the writing is in fact hate speech or a personal attack against the author...
    Keith - thanks for your candid feedback. I left my bouncy bear at home, so no worries there. As a mod I won't be intrusive unless I'm forced to be so. By prominent, I don't mean soft or not legitimate, etc. And while I agree that honest, clear and constructive criticism is necessary for writers posting their work on the site, we must also consider that some writers (especially new writers) are sensitive. They aren't used to workshops, might not have experience with criticism and W/N might be one of the first places they turn. As you know, many writers see themselves in their work, or at least feel it is a part of them in some way, and so when their work is put under the microscope for analysis, they can't help but feel they are also under review. I'm not suggesting anyone must alter the way they critique work or query letters etc., but I'm open to hearing how we can make new writers feel welcome. Depending on the case, it may be helpful to be encouraging and show some proper examples, especially if a critique has been severe. Lastly, I completely agree with you that the site should stay true to the craft and business of writing.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Nicholl View Post
    So, does this mean my posts will actually get approved now?
    Yes, and welcome to W/N

Welcome, Rich! I used to post a lot more often here, but my schedule is such now that I post less. Still WN has been a tremendous resource in the past. I've met many writer friends here, people I keep in contact with outside of the forums.

Jeanne

Quote Originally Posted by leslee View Post

There used to be lots of agent letters and portions of text to read and comment about. I like that, too.
    Right...there used to be! Who knows why there are so few these days?

Meanwhile, in order to keep the joint up & running, some members wander down to the bowels: Smoko and CT. Maybe to just keep the ol' typing fingers flexible.

*_*

Well, now that you've defined it as "the bowels," I don't think I'll be attending as frequently.

Hey, you know I don't think that, leslee! I shoulda put it in quotes, for Gary's sake.

*_*

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Wilshere View Post
    Yes, and welcome to W/N
    Thanks, Rich. Oddly, I'm not new here. I've been a member since 2005-ish. It has been a while since I posted, so maybe some glitch made the new forum software forget me.

I have to say, the approval requirement for new posters is rather onerous. Since you mentioned growing the site, reducing the obstacles for newbie participation would probably help.

incendiary personal attacks
    Well, Rich, you'll certainly find some of that around here, and some posted quite recently.

Anyway, welcome.

As for the CT and Smoko forums, I'd hate to see them go. Sometimes we just have to kick back in Smoko. As for CT, I just stay out of the discussions that either piss me off or simply don't interest me. I vote to keep them both.

Oh, I don't think Smoko and the CT are going to go away. But I equally don't think that the stated goal of raising the content is going to happen either--certainly not if the site continues to be dominated by arguments over tattoos and political conspiracies (unless it's discussion of writing about these). The content isn't going to be lifted until/unless the active members take their humdrum chat rants to one of thousands of other Internet chat rooms operating on that level and be more writing/publishing focused on this site. Serious writers and publishing professionals aren't going to come here otherwise and new poster prospects aren't going to fight the small "community" that exists here as survivor remnants of flame wars just drifting along as if this is just any other chat room either. I see it as just reality. Rich asked; I'm just making an observation from watching WN for more than a decade.

I suggest that, if it's possible, Rich go back in the history of the board to the appearance of a "Blipperton" poster (a period that predated both the Smoko and CT forums) and look at how robust and writing/publishing centered the site was then. Blipperton trolled the board. If his worst posts had just been erased then--as well as those of other pranksters and troublemakers floating in on his coat tails--I'll bet the site would still be robust (and there would have been no need to institute either Smoko or the CT).

This isn't Camelot. You can't have it all. There are social networking and political ranting chat rooms in abundance all across the Internet without WN needing to be just another one.

This isn't Camelot.

Neither was Camelot.

I really don't think anyone mistakes WN for Camelot. Or any other website, for that matter.

The Blipperton days were extreme, that's for sure I haven't seen pure trollism like that for a long time. Maybe it happens more on other sites. We've had a few visitors here that I considered trolls, but not with the kind of visciousness Blipperton brought. I think you may be correct that the reaction to Blipperton marked the turning point in the direction of WN.

Kind of like how things have never been the same in the country post-Watergate. Some events change everything.
    Last edited by leslee; 09-07-2011 at 08:46 PM.