HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    True, true, Gary. It's a money-making business for the SPers. Not for the authors. They do not even help market our books. And who knows how many copies are sold when we get a royalty check? Oh, well...I guess we are anxious to see our work in book form so we turn a blind eye, huh.

Quote Originally Posted by larry moses View Post
    True, true, Gary. It's a money-making business for the SPers. Not for the authors. They do not even help market our books. And who knows how many copies are sold when we get a royalty check? Oh, well...I guess we are anxious to see our work in book form so we turn a blind eye, huh.
    Not all. Some know how to market a self-published book well. But those are folks who went into the process with realistic expectations and a market they objectively knew they could sell to sufficiently to do it this way. (Which could be as few as family members coming to a reunion.)

James North
    Quote Originally Posted by larry moses View Post
    The New York publishers do not market your books either. It is up to YOU. But then, some books sell okay with no marketing. Do you think the New York publishers are not making money on the blood of the writers? They make a lot more per book than Amazon. Look at Amazon's list of 100 bestselling Kindle books, most are self-published. One man I have conversed with by email has a book that produces at least $4,000 a month for him, and several others that produce at least $2,000 a month each. He told me he wrote his first book in prison. I doubt that he has done much promotion.

James North
    I just read some posts about CS that are factually wrong. It costs NOTHING to publish with either CS or KDP. Until recently, you were expected to buy a proof copy and check it before publishing (about 5 or 6 bucks for most novels and $4 postage), but now you do not even have to do that. There is a one-time cost of their Extended Distribution Channel, but you do NOT have to go that route. You will not sell that many paperbacks that way anyway. Amazon is where you will sell most of your copies, and they will be Kindles. The $39 is well worth it though, because you get a higher royalty. It will pay for itself in ONE day if your books actually sell like mine do. As far as getting something free goes, your books' product pages are probably worth tens of thousands a month each! They are free. Try buying a page-size ad in a magazine with the circulation of Amazon! Look at all the features offered you, the author. You can write a note in "From The Author" on your product page, telling why you wrote the novel, etc. You can tell your readers about an upcoming sequel you are working on, all kinds of things like that. You can use your Author Central account to connect your blog and website and actually have correspondence with your readers...all free! You can have your books on Shelfsafari (something like Goodreads) for free. The biggest freebie is your product page and the chance to sell your books without bending over and squealing like a pig for agents and publishers.

James North
    I forgot to mention that there is no charge for correcting your book. You can upload a new file anytime and as many times as you want. Now that you do not even have to buy a proof copy, it will cost you nothing. With the Kindles, it never did cost you anything because you never had to buy a proof.

Thank you, James, for all that information.

*_*

You have been very helpful to me, James.

My query letters to agents have been rejected and also received positive replies, requesting chapters or the whole ms. In the end, I got positive feedback, but no offers. They were right, though. (I cringe when I read the crap I wrote and sent them!) I could write a dang good query but my novel stunk. That was then. I have learned and improved. When I consider writing a query, sending it out, hoping for positive replies, getting rejections, getting interest, the whole waiting game, I don't know if I want to go that route again.

I need your smarts about CS and all! Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

We live in interesting times.

:)

We live in interesting times.
    Yes, indeed. As a dear, departed friend of mine used to put it: These are the times in which we live.

Frank and Jayce,

Late in this cave, but I wanted to say, "Yup."

Cur