HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Trying to Find a Convincing Motive

The novel I am currently working on is a fantasy novel set in our world but in an alternate reality where a select "breed" of humans can use magic (witches, basically). Modern day society is scared and resents the new super-breed of humans. When one of my main characters ( a human ) is framed for a hate crime murder of one of the witches, so he goes on the run. His best friend/ex childhood sweetheart who is secretly one of these beings believes she was the intended victim of the killer so runs away from her job and her unhappy relationship with her fiance with the man who has been framed, scared that the murderer will come back for her.
    My question is, do you think this is a strong enough/believable motive? If not, do you have any suggestions as to what other motives she could have (other than lingering feelings for the man she is on the run with).

I am having the same problem with the novel I am writing. Finally, I came to a conclusion that the reader may enjoy it more if it is fantasy with a slight touch of reality, i.e. real city such as New York. I think that way, the reader can relate more to your book, and also get the fantasy joy from it. I certainly enjoy reading novels that are fiction, with a bit of reality settings.. There are writers however, that invented their own worlds, classic example is Tolkien's lord of the rings, and he was very successful.

Hi Becca

I don't see a motive mentioned in your post so I can't say if it is any good or not. I read that a witch was murdered and someone was framed but no motive mentioned. Maybe I'm not reading it right.

RC

Or are you asking about her motive for running away? That motive being that she thinks someone has tried to kill her. That might work if there is a good enough reason for her to just run away rather than actually facing the murderer but you haven't told us anyting about that. What reason could there be for her being murdered How will running away solve her problems? Does she know who the murderer is? Is the murderer obviously trying to track her down forcing her to keep running and staying one step ahead?

The murderer is an anti-wiccan protestor, the girl who was murdered was covering the main characters shift at work. She was slain in the way the protestors are famed for killed wiccans despite the fact the victim herself is not a witch. So, the girl who actually is a witch freaks out realising she was the intended victim and runs.
    No, the murderer is not known (yet) .

Is the plot going to be that the girl who was framed, finds out that the murderer is someone she knows, and now she has to stop him/her before they kill more Wiccans in an attempt to eradicate all magical beings through genocide?

Sorry for my off-point comment, Thought I posted on your other thread

Quote Originally Posted by Becca Allan View Post
    So, the girl who actually is a witch freaks out realising she was the intended victim and runs.
    Am wondering if a really knowledgeable witch would actually "freak out" and run.

"Witchcraft is the practice of magick, whereby the material world is altered through an application of will by the witch."

http://www.pythorium.com/?q=node/334

*_*

The issue (the motive for the two to run away together) seems pretty clear to me. He is being fingered for killing a witch. Another witch thinks she was the target for murder rather than the witch who was killed. Assuming she believes he didn't kill the first witch (you'll have to build in a plausible reason why--like the two of them were making love at the time the other witch was killed), yes, I think it's plausible that both might want to flee and that they'd flee together. He's wanted for something he didn't do but can't give an alibi (again, if the two of them were having sex, there would need to be a reason given why they can't own up to it). She knows the wrong man is being pursued and believes she was the intended victim, ergo the murderer is still out there and she's still in danger. They run off together until they can help each other to establish the truth and neutralize the murderer.

Siu Ling
    Hi Becca, since it's fantasy, I'd say your motive is plausible. The question that popped into my head was how would you hide from magical beings? But just from what you have described, I can't say it's very interesting to me. But I'm a little biased, I'm not too fond of 'on the run' plots generally, and should be ignored.