HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Hello W/N - Rich Wilshere Here

Hello writers.net; I wanted to introduce myself and let everyone know that Iíve been engaged by CrowdGather, the site owner, to step in as interim moderator. My goal is to serve this site by helping to increase traffic and membership, and to improve content. The key to this effort is that we work together to ensure anyone (at any level) who has a passion for writing feels welcome to contribute, learn and grow as a writer in our community.

While Iím getting acquainted with the site, Iím open to new ideas about the site in general, and to hearing feedback from all of you about how to make improvements to the community.

Looking forward to working with all of you, and helping to grow writers.net into a more prominent writing community.

Thanks,
    Rich

Hello, Rich! Pleasure to meet you.

Just want you to know that our beloved ex-mod, Victoria, was working on getting her good friend, Stephen King, over this way for a little fireside chat among the members. Am hoping she (ahem) mentioned it to you during her exit interview. I was pretty sure she said "good friend." Yes, I'm sortof certain. Could be wrong, but I don't think so. Huh. Might have to do a search on that one.

ANYway - looking forward to interacting with you and seeing what you got!! Welcome!
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Wilshere View Post
    My goal is to serve this site by helping to increase traffic and membership, and to improve content... I’m open to new ideas about the site in general, and to hearing feedback from all of you about how to make improvements to the community.
    Howdy, Interim Moderator Rich!

Not sure how you'd "increase traffic," but look at the numbers of the membership: 4,146 as we speak. No small potatoes that. Every day we notice a new name being welcomed, although chances are good we never see anything posted by said new member. It seems most of them come on board to just lurk.

You said you were open to "new ideas about the site in general." How about finding a way for us to correct the boo-boos in the subject line of our new threads? That would be a big help, and save a lot of embarrassment.

For instance, down in the pits -- in the Controversial Topics section -- you'll see a thread called "Nine Eleen." Now what the hell is that, you may wonder. Eleen sounds like a name for a sweet Irish lass, doesn't it? But that ain't what it was meant to be.

Anyway, enjoy your stay...for however long you can last.

*_*

Greetings, Rich -

It sometimes seems that every moderator is an interim moderator. How long have you signed up for?

Hi Rich! And welcome.

All I ask is that you allow us to be ourselves. WN has never been known as the place to go if you want people to gush all over your writing. People who come here expecting to be told how great they are, soon learn exactly what they still need to learn.

However, bullying should never be tolerated, and we can usually manage to beat down any would-be bully all by ourselves.

One more thing, others have said this before, and I agree. The deletion of posts is a sore point here. There are several whom I agree with, that if you post something, own it and live up to it. Don't go crying to the moderator to delete one or all posts just because you don't like the response received. I vote that this issue needs to be revisited. All those in favor . . . hold up your electronic "aye!"

Aye! Yes, deletion of posts has always been frowned upon by members of a writing board. Lately, however, it's been a somewhat regular occurrence, unjustified in many cases. I know some will disagree with that, but I think the majority are in agreement on that issue.

Anyway, Lea's right - maybe we should bring up the topic for discussion in some form. We'd all like to know your position on this one, as well.
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

I think it would be a good idea if people who make grandiose statements about how awful this website is and how terrible the people are, and demand that all their posts be removed, not be allowed to come back a couple of days later under another name and start from scratch. It always turns out the same way. The name may change, but the behavior never does.

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries
    No offense, but I don't want WN to become a prominent writing community. It's already halfway to becoming just another Absolute Write with the bouncy bear-shooting star-smiley freakin' face emoticrap and animation. If someone doesn't like legit, constructive criticism they boo hoo until every post they've ever made is deleted and, of course, any criticism of the writing is in fact hate speech or a personal attack against the author.

I'd like to see shades of the old WN where we policed ourselves and learned about writing and the business of writing and the moderator pretty much shut the fuuck up. Stalking, slamming the writing boards with CT content would of course require intervention but little else. Unfortunately, when bean counters purchase boards the object becomes quantity rather than quality.

A fiction writer draws the reader in, and the fastest way to ruin it and pull the reader from the story is to write something that reminds the reader of the author's presence. Same with mods. Good luck.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by leslee View Post
    Greetings, Rich -

It sometimes seems that every moderator is an interim moderator. How long have you signed up for?
    Hi Leslee - I'm actually going to be here indefinitely. I work for the company, and anticipate being the mod for a long time.

Hi, Rich,

Good luck with this. Thanks for helping to keep WN going.

(And I hope it goes in a great direction.)