HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Aver0n 2o11

Lovable Bad Guys :)

This might be a little bit off topic, but I'm interested in lovable baddies so that I can make my own bad guys more human. Are there any characters you could recommend that I could check up their stories as a not just lovable but also interesting baddie?

Typical EVIL in capitals baddie include Lord Voldemort from Harry Potter and Scar from The Lion King. Bad guys with a bit more crunch include Severus Snape (also from Harry Potter) and Lex Luthor from Smallville (his journey toward darkness is very interesting).

I don't mind how evil they are, as long as I can see the reasoning behind why they do what they do - not just because they happen to be evil - and that they have maybe one or two redeeming qualities about them too.

Dexter. He's a brilliant character, and a serial killer. Hannibal Lecter isn't really lovable, but people DO love him.

I guess the link there - they're both sociopaths. If you get that across early, people don't expect them to have emotions, and we don't disconnect with them when they don't, maybe? A theory.

I always liked Simon Templar in The Saint books, too. He's the protagonist, but he's a thief, and a dastardly man sometimes.

Simon Templar and Dexter both had terrible events happen as children, and both were also orphaned. Those sort of things let people write off an evil character's side a bit, I think. We let them in a bit more.
    Last edited by Emily MacGowan; 08-17-2011 at 02:07 AM.

It's not so much that they have to be lovable, it's that they have to be believable. Just as your hero comes across better if he/she isn't perfect, the villain should also have some good points. As an example, Ming the Merciless from the Flash Gordon comic strip, movie serials and later feature films works because he's not a cardboard cutout. He has emotions, he's honorable (He may not want to keep his word, but he does.) and he follows his own laws, like it or not.[1] If nothing else, the fact that his intentions toward Dale Arden are always marriage, not just rape make him a more believable, realistic individual.

[1]In the original Flash Gordon serial, one of his subordinates tells him, "By your own laws, which you yourself must obey..."

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries
    Tony Soprano. Also Michael Corleone from the first Godfather book. Puzo does a great job of justifying the horrible things Michael does in his own mind as does David Chase in Sopranos.

I worked in a B Dalton during high school. We had a Star Wars book that showed George Lucas as the author. This was probably 1982-3ish. I don't know if Lucas actually wrote the book, but the author did a terrific job of showing things from Vader's perspective that you never got from the film. You may never find it, though.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Keith . View Post
    Tony Soprano.
    OH yeah! Loved to watch that one in action.

*_*