HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oh my God!!!

Has it occurred to you not to self-publish your books?

Whoa, Kathy, why are you looking at vanity publishers at all? Let's do a quick review on how books should be published (also known a traditional publishing).

1. You write the book. (If it's fiction or a children's book.)

2. You query agents. You may also want to query legit publishers, ones who DO NOT charge you to publish your book.

3. If an agent accepts you as a client, she/he subs the ms. to the publishers. If you've found a publisher on your own who wants the book, you read the contract carefully before proceeding.

To find legit agents, go to these sites:

AgentQuery

QueryTracker

You need to do your homework first. Read the posts about publishers and agents at Absolute Write, Preditors and Editors and WriterBeware. Con games and scams are rampant are the Internet. Research any agent or publisher you are considering. Always.

The general rule is that the money flows toward, not away from, the writer. If an agent or publisher asks you to pay them to get published, run. It's a scam.

Jeanne

To add one step to Jeanne's list:

4. If your agent (or you on your own) lands a publishing contract, the publisher pays you and the agent gets a cut of that (a commission). Cost to you: zero.

It's all so over whelming.I'm fighting not to give up at this point! I'm off this Thusday I will post a few pages of a story for some feedback,Though I've only seen fiction and poetry here so far.

What's the best way to go? I'm so green at this please help!

Thank You so much.I'm still learning.Great advice.I will do more homework this Thursday it's my day off from fashion.

Thanks Jayce. I'm so glad that I happened upon wn.There is so much great advice and support here.

I think I saw an entire book on Children's Market at Barnes and Nobles, but I can't remember the name. There's a big market in that area if you can make the sale.