HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Plot twist for Dracula book

I am writing a horror book dealing with a vampire invasion into a tiny village in the south. I am brainstorming ways to make the head vampire Dracula fresh.

I don't want it to be only "he bites you and you become Undead".

I have toyed with the weird (his tongue down your throat injects venom) to the sexually morbid (his semen ejaculated into a woman makes her a vampire).

What I don't want is for the head vampire to be "cool and beautiful" like some of the late 20th century movies have portrayed him; I want to return him to the image of a maniacal, beastly, morbid, violently sexual creature.

Any thoughts on how to make him unique?

Mix it with zombie voodoo rituals?

Maybe the women should turn into vampires if they climax together.This would make it much more difficult.

Hmmmm. Let me see how that feels in my 'ole head

You need Evil Editor's weredingos.

(Don't know about E.E.?... go here and snoop around: Evil Ed.)

jayce, I went to evil ed.

I must say, I don't understand the site too well. Could you tell me how that site can help me?

Thanks!!

Henry. Just wanted to let you know, the venom/virus injected during insemination has already been done ...though it was a werewolf instead of vampire. Ray Garton's Bestial and Ravenous. Not that you shouldn't use it though. Good Luck!!!

FYI, I've heard agents say that if they receive one more vampire query, they're going to slash their throats.

Henry: Evil Editor is an honest-to-god book editor who invites new writers to submit query letters and opening paragraphs for him and his "minions" to critique. His schtick is, he phrases his critiques in a dry and sometimes cutting humor that both entertains and informs. (Much like Query Shark, whose humor is mostly cutting.) Some time ago, while lamenting the glut of werewolf and vampire stories crossing his desk, Evil Editor riffed on other weird creatures waiting to be immortalized in proseŚwere-this, were-that, and voila!, weredingos came into being.

When you asked for fresh approaches to the Dracula story, weredingos came to mind. It was a joke, that's all. (But Evil Editor is far from that. His critiques are spot on.)

jayce, hahaha. Now I get it!!! Will do.

As far as a new method of turning others into vampires, what about this idea:

The vampire has to be in bat form, rat form, etc, etc, to bite someone. Under this scenario, the bat is then vulnerable also.

My thinking is adding vulnerability to the bats or rats would add some conflict (the vampire would have to use caution).

Just thinking out loud here.