HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Healing

The Healing

Okay, well . . . I haven't done this in quite a while. A little out of practice, but thought I'd respond to a local call for submissions. A spirituality center is looking for essays and poetry from experiences with nature. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Thx!

The sky at twilight was painted with hues of crimson, lavender and rusty orange, more vivid than I had ever remembered it being. The bluffs on the horizon were outlined with a golden aura and the river below sparkled, a splash of sequins dancing across its top. I leaned against the park’s deck railing, mesmerized from the beauty of it all, wondering why I had never really noticed before.

The perfectly shaped maple tree on its shore gently rustled in the breeze, like it was trying to get my attention, and I tipped my head slightly to the side as if to ask, “Are you talking to ME?” I imagined it was, reassuring me that this is where I still belonged. I had survived the car crash just weeks before and the resulting injuries which nearly took my life. But that seemed unimportant now. Without words, I felt an understanding that the earth was welcoming me back, reminding me how we were connected and each of us had a purpose in the scheme of things. Without me here it would have had to adjust again, to change gears, as it knew my absence would have an effect on the universe’s arranged plan.

The moon, rising in the distance, joined in and offered a perceived wink, ending the conversation. I nodded graciously in appreciation and smiled before carefully stepping down off the deck and continuing my evening stroll back home. Any other day I would have simply walked away without a second thought. This time, I really listened. All was as it should be.
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

Very nice, Cindy!

Isn't it a wonderful feeling to really connect with Mother Nature? I'm always talking to the trees, the flowers....telling them how beautiful they are. They love it!

*_*

Thanks, Kitty! I knew you'd like it.
    Cindy

Amy Lou
    Cindy, this is very beautiful! I'm so happy you shared. I too feel such a connection with nature, I often wonder why others don't, are we just born that way? I wish I had something constructive to add, but I have no idea what I'm talking about half the time. Your descriptions are vivid and you paint such a beautiful scene. Good luck with submitting this! I hope to have the guts to do the same someday.

Thanks, Amy Lou! Glad you enjoyed it.

It seems a little short to me, like I should really expand on the whole scene, but I sortof ran into a brick wall. Do you think it's enough? Or does it seem like I crammed the scene into a couple paragraphs when I should have drawn it out more?
    Cindy

Amy Lou
    Yes, I do think it's a tad short, but I'm not sure how long it needs to be. I think you have plenty of descriptions of what's around you but I would like to know more about how it effects you personally. I think you could elaborate more on the car crash. You mention this life changing even and then say that seems unimportant. But it was important because I feel it made you value your place on earth and the things of the earth, in nature. It does need something more to really grab on to. YES give me more! Tell me more of what the earth is saying to you and why.

Thank you, AL! That's kindof what I was thinking, too. Not sure if I want to muck it up too much with the crash details, though. If it seems unimportant, then doing that contradicts the idea, don't you think?

I do agree that more insight into the conversation is needed, however. Let me work on it. And thanks, again!
    Cindy

Maybe you could add some since of smell. As I read I could almost smell it.

Thank you, Kathy! That's a good idea!
    Cindy

C. Bets- I like it.