HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It's Working!

Quote Originally Posted by Averon 2011 View Post
    I'm just two chapters short of the finish line and although the newer version is a lot better than the original (even if I do say so myself) - I still find myself thinking that it needs another re-edit. It seems that the more I edit, the more the need for editing arises. It's like the saying "the more questions get answered, the more questions arise from those answers". I just keep thinking to myself - "I'm nearly there", but I never actually get there. Still, I'm happy to have gotten thus far.
    Yes, if you've rekeyed from scratch, you need to do another edit, because your rekeying has introduced new problems. And then if you rekey the edit all over again . . .

Aver0n 2o11
    Nag, I'm far enough into the story that I've gained confidence not to have edit right from the beginning again. I've got enough material to do spot edits which I have pooled together into another document and will be printing first thing in the morning to go over them again with a pen. I'm imagining maybe two more edits in total and maybe I can call it a day

Nag, I'm far enough into the story that I've gained confidence not to have edit right from the beginning again. I've got enough material to do spot edits which I have pooled together into another document and will be printing first thing in the morning to go over them again with a pen. I'm imagining maybe two more edits in total and maybe I can call it a day
    The new mistakes won't be in your writing; they will be in your rekeying of the material. Every time you rekey from scratch you will be introducing new mistakes.

Every time you rekey from scratch you will be introducing new mistakes.
    Ain't that the truth.

Jena, Queen of Typos

Aver0n 2o11
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kessler View Post
    The new mistakes won't be in your writing; they will be in your rekeying of the material. Every time you rekey from scratch you will be introducing new mistakes.
    Ah, but I've still got the original. I haven't deleted that yet The most errors I will have made would be in the first two chapters and I'm aware of that so I can compare the original and the new if I need to go back to how they were before. With the rest of the story there aren't many new errors but there are still whole segments that need to be re-written from scratch all over again - those are the chapters that I will be printing out.

The big question you have to ask yourself is a simple one: Does this work better for me? If the answer is yes, then do it. Editing on-screen is fine, but most of the professional writers I know (myself included) print out a hard copy, pencil in edits and then type them in. Whether you want to just make the changes or retype the entire manuscript is up to you. I do both, at different stages in the piece.

If you're interested, here's an article (by yours truly) about how to revise a novel:

Ah, but I've still got the original. I haven't deleted that yet The most errors I will have made would be in the first two chapters and I'm aware of that so I can compare the original and the new if I need to go back to how they were before. With the rest of the story there aren't many new errors but there are still whole segments that need to be re-written from scratch all over again - those are the chapters that I will be printing out.
    To me, you are just coming up with more and more reasons why your chosen method is convoluted and begging for getting the manuscript all gummed up. But you are comfortable with it, so go ahead. I started in the typewriter era and not having to rekey all over again has been one of the major godsends and time and effort savers of the computer era.

Aver0n 2o11
    I'm still new to the whole 'having finished a piece and being able to review it' stage - prior to the past year (and two completed stories), all previous efforts from the decade before ended in me dumping the work about three chapters in and telling myself that I can't write $hit.

It's not really my chosen method of editing as I've never had a method before, I've never needed one. I'm still riding the high of having finished something (even in draft form - it's a lot further than I've gone before). I'm still experimenting with the editing process

Of course, I don't need to report everything I do onto the internet but I got excited so I am (for now anyway).
    Last edited by Aver0n 2o11; 08-09-2011 at 01:19 PM.

It is hard to understand why you use such a method. It makes editing tougher and more time consuming than it has to be.

I read aloud, backwards (word by word backwards, not really backwards) and catch lots of errors. Retyping is a good suggestion, thanks!