HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's Working!

Aver0n 2o11

It's Working!

Finally figured out why editing wasn't working for me. I just wasn't doing it right. What I'm doing now has allowed me to get more one in one night than the whole of the past month.

It's very simple. I print my story out on paper then I retype it in a blank document. That's all there is to it, but before I figured it out, I was having massive problems. I've since learned that I'm very bad at editing from a full page of text. Much better to start again - almost from scratch but with a better sense of direction.

Retyping the whole thing all over again sounds slower but winds up being faster than editing from the text itself. Why didn't I think of that before? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Averon 2011 View Post
    Finally figured out why editing wasn't working for me. I just wasn't doing it right. What I'm doing now has allowed me to get more one in one night than the whole of the past month.

It's very simple. I print my story out on paper then I retype it in a blank document. That's all there is to it, but before I figured it out, I was having massive problems. I've since learned that I'm very bad at editing from a full page of text. Much better to start again - almost from scratch but with a better sense of direction.

Retyping the whole thing all over again sounds slower but winds up being faster than editing from the text itself. Why didn't I think of that before? lol.
    That's fine, of course, if it works for you. But I'm not sure I understand why you do this. Is it because you want to see what editing marks you made when you clean it up? If so, if you are working in Word, you could just use the Tracking Change function and you'd see that without risking damage to what you didn't want to change. Rekeying the whole thing can, indeed, make you rethink everything and tone it up. It also can introduce new problems, though--each and every time you do it.

Cat
    Quote Originally Posted by Averon 2011 View Post

If it works for you, it works. My guess is that in time you will find several ways that work for you, including working from the full page, despite your present difficulties.

Personally, I find different methods good for different needs.

When I really have trouble getting to work, I write on tge subway, of all places - never fails.

I find the only way to accurately revise is to print out the entire ms and go over it by hand. I may have to print it out more than once, but I find I miss too many things when I'm reading on screen.

I'm with you, Jena. When I was editing, that was the way that worked best for me.
    Cindy

And be at peace... the universe is unfolding as it should

Belinda T.
    That's what I usually do as well, Jena. It's more efficient for me to print out and correct a draft and the mobility also allows me to multi-task.

Aver0n 2o11
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kessler View Post
    That's fine, of course, if it works for you. But I'm not sure I understand why you do this.
    I do that because I suck at editing from full text (it confuses me), but mostly I think I do this because my brain is very stubborn. I write sequentially from the beginning to the end. I never write out of order (I don't for example, write the ending first and then work my way toward that). I also edit sequentially. Giving myself the chance to start over again allows me to edit from beginning to end without confusion and interruption. I blame it on a very stubborn brain.

Jena:

I do print out and edit with a pen, but I find that it's difficult for me to then type those edits into full text manuscript so I now find that I prefer to just retype the whole thing

Aver0n 2o11
    I'm up to the half way point in the story that I was having trouble editing before. I've re-screened come of the vocabulary I was using and I've found that it's much more accessible now. It is still a tiny bit of a bore to read so I will have to add in those flashbacks that I was talking about, but all in all, it's looking much better than before.

Cat
    It seems incredibly inefficient. Run with it for now if that's the only way you can get the job done, I guess.

Aver0n 2o11
    I'm just two chapters short of the finish line and although the newer version is a lot better than the original (even if I do say so myself) - I still find myself thinking that it needs another re-edit. It seems that the more I edit, the more the need for editing arises. It's like the saying "the more questions get answered, the more questions arise from those answers". I just keep thinking to myself - "I'm nearly there", but I never actually get there. Still, I'm happy to have gotten thus far.