HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where do you place you eyes when typing?

I often am not sure if I should look at the computer screen when I'm writing or look at something else. My experience is that each has pros and cons. When I watch the screen my typing is more precise and I make fewer mistakes, but when I look at something other than the screen I feel like my ideas sometimes flow better.

I am relatively new to the writing craft so I haven't figured out what works best. I am just wondering other people's experience...

Senior Member Miranda Clementine's Avatar
    Everyone is different, so do whatever is best for you. I tend to not watch the screen, as you mentioned, the creativity flows better when I'm not watching for mistakes.
    Even those who make their living in dreamland must do their chores in the real world.
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

The screen for me.

Same thing when I play the piano; I keep my eyes on the sheet music (until I have to turn the darn pages).

It probably depends on how skilled you are working the keyboard. If you're a hunt-and-pecker....(ooh, did that last word make it through? )

*_*

Um...I have to look at the keys at least 75% of the time. I never did learn how to type correctly. I started writing stories on a typewriter (a manual Royal) when I was 9, and by the time I took typing (yeah, typing--not keyboarding) in junior high I was doomed for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Foyle View Post
    Same thing when I play the piano; I keep my eyes on the sheet music (until I have to turn the darn pages).

It probably depends on how skilled you are working the keyboard. If you're a hunt-and-pecker....(ooh, did that last word make it through? )
    Do you have a problem with wood-peckers Kitty??

When I play the piano and clarinet, I always look at the sheet too, no matter how well I know the piece. It was different when I played the violin (notice the past tense, those things are harder to maintain) though, once I knew the notes I tended to drift.
    Even those who make their living in dreamland must do their chores in the real world.
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Foyle View Post
    ...If you're a hunt-and-pecker.... )

*_*
    Leave it to Kitts to be a huntin' peckers when she should be a writing ...

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Keith . View Post
    Leave it to Kitts to be a huntin' peckers when she should be a writing ...
    And leave it to Klever Keith to come up with a good one!

Miranda queried, "Do you have a problem with wood-peckers Kitty??"

Although I adore Woody, I'm partial to Garfield.

*_*

lol... That is a good one Keith (but you that when you typed it)

I need to get a bumper sticker like that for a friend of mine. She's always wrong yet thinks she's right.
    -Scarlett Rice
    MC

Amy Lou
    YEP look at the screen - Played piano for 8 years and like Kitty, I only look at the sheet music when playing! I guess I'm a wood- pecker hater too!

I look at the screen...but then when I think "Wow, I'm doing this without looking at the keys," things go wildly astray. I'm not sure when/if my creativity is "bumped" when I look in a certain direction...but I imagine that, like Miranda mentioned up there, I am giving over some of my mind's power to looking for mistakes on the screen, which would take away the focus of the actual story-writing.