HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kid at Heart

Kid at Heart

So everyone reads up now. I'm the opposite because I like to read DOWN! Not too down though. Obviously, I don't read picture books. I'm seventeen and I like to read upper MG and lower YA books. Right now, I'm reading Wild Magic. I have read up for fun before, but that was only when reading the Harry Potter series. Last year, my mom had to stop me from reading School of Fear for my summer reading. I've always been a kid at heart and still am. My favorite movies are The Lion King and Teacher's Pet. When I was younger, there were a lot of things my peers found babyish that I still really enjoyed. In the 7th grade, I was a big fan of the Fairly Odd Parents while everyone else had outgrown it long long before.
    I'm writing a middle grade book and everyone keeps telling me to read middle grade books. My book once was classified as lower to true MG because there used to be talking animals, but now that there are no more talking animals, it's more upper MG since the MC is 12 and there are more intense and mature elements.

Sunayha, you remind me of me. When I was seventeen my favorite book was "Harriet the Spy." Now that I'm ancient, I'll still occasionally read a MG novel. Good luck with your novel!

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries
    I write MG so I try to make every third book I read an MG novel. I still love them and I'm probably more "ancient" than Jena (though we can still by-God hang with the best of them, right girl?). Love the sig, btw, irregardless of what others may say ...

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

(though we can still by-God hang with the best of them, right girl?)
    Damn straight.

right now i have Guillermo Del Toro syndrome. i sometimes write about kids, but not for them. in future i would like to write and illustrate a children's book. the magic of sendak and dahl (among many others) will always be present. when i was teaching english in guatemala, we'd read (my wonderful ladyfriend at the time---amy of only the best memories) 'james and the giant peach' en espanol to each other and in english to our students. i hope they enjoyed it as much as we did.

I think writing books for kids is obviously not a sign of immaturity. Sometimes when I read books for kids (yeah, me too)) I realize that the topics and associations in these books are far more "adult" than their status.

I still like to read the teen books that are out on the market these days. And after all, look at say Twilight. I feel this was made for teens and look how many adults are reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    I still like to read the teen books that are out on the market these days. And after all, look at say Twilight. I feel this was made for teens and look how many adults are reading it.
    Same goes for TV shows. Some stuff just appeals to a larger audience than intended. Were you a Harry Potter fan then?

Hey, I'm a iron-core Calvin & Hobbs fan. Got all the collections and read them several times. I taught my kids to read with them.

And I still love Pokemon, eheheh.