HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Agents who are e-publishing

If you haven't been following the pub news, you may not be aware that there are several "big name" agencies who are branching out into the e-publishing business. This makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, as it seems to be a clear conflict of interest. What motivation does an agent have to negotiate the best deal for you if he/she can steer you to their e-publishing venture?

Anyhoo, a link to this blog showed up on Twitter today. It's well worth the read.

http://www.courtneymilan.com/ramblin...ter-to-agents/

Jeanne

I'd happily read an e-book if it was put out by a well-known publisher.

Jena,

I don't mind reading e-books either from respected publishers, but it does bother me when an agent sets up an "e-publishing arm." They aren't in the publishing business; they should be in the business of finding the best publisher for the writer.

Jeanne

I agree, Jeanne.

I wasn't aware that agents were branching out into e-publishing, so I read the linked blog. But this isn't about agents branching out into e-publishing unrelated to the contracts they already have with their authors. This blog entry seemed to be about an author who wanted to both traditionally publish when she could and to self-publish what her agent wasn't interested in--under a contract covering everything the author wrote--and the agent wanting a cut of the e-publishing profits if she did. That may not be what the whole blog entry is about--the entry was pretty scattered (and, I hope, doesn't reflect how this author writes her books).

So, I still haven't seen what this "agents moving into e-publishing" is about. I can certainly see them doing it in the new world, where an e version is contemplated along with a print version from the get go in the publishing contract. Then of course the agent would be involved in the electronic rights--just like they are in foreign rights and such.

More information on this?

Gary, I won't post full names on here (too easily Googled), but you might want to read the announcement at this agent's blog. This is an example of what she's referring to. The agency is well-respected and has some big names on their client list, but I must admit I find it dicey to offer to charge only 15% to help an author set up his own e-pubbed book--something you can do on Smashwords for free. And just because they help you set it up doesn't mean they will help you market it...

There are other agents who are using the 50% model she refers too, but I don't remember their names at the moment.

Jeanne

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne Gassman View Post
    Gary, I won't post full names on here (too easily Googled), but you might want to read the announcement at this agent's blog. This is an example of what she's referring to. The agency is well-respected and has some big names on their client list, but I must admit I find it dicey to offer to charge only 15% to help an author set up his own e-pubbed book--something you can do on Smashwords for free. And just because they help you set it up doesn't mean they will help you market it...

There are other agents who are using the 50% model she refers too, but I don't remember their names at the moment.

Jeanne
    Thanks. When I'm not pushing a deadline, I'll check into that.

OK, Jeanne, I've checked into it. I think that DGLM just doesn't "get" how much easier it is to either find an e-publisher to e-publish for you or to do it yourself, with those shopping on e-book distribution sites not really giving a rat's behind who the publisher is (unless e-publisher start doing meaningful promotion, which they don't). I think anyone who bites on their offer hasn't done their research and deserves the "hard way" education.

Six Degrees of Separation

Jeanne, you were the first to respond to me on Writers.net

And, today, I saw a post of yours expressing sympathy for Eleanor Thayer's death.

This is the degrees of separation principle at work here.