HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Do I REALLY need an agent?

I've heard a lot of mentions about agents on this on this forum and elsewhere, and I'm wondering if I really do need one. I've heard that having an agent might be helpful when getting a book published, but I'm not really planning to hire one. One reason is because I'm on a very limited budget and I'm not sure I can afford to pay one. Another is that I want to learn what I need to do for myself, and not rely on someone else to help get books published for me if I can help it.

Anyway. . .what do you all think?

I've just finished the manuscript of my new novel, and I'm strongly considering doing either self-publishing or sending to an editor. While self-publishing may be less of a headache in some ways, I think that sending a query to an editor the old-fashioned way may have its benefits too. I was wondering if anybody had any recommedations for some good publishing houses for YA novels. There are a gazillion of them out there and I'm not sure exactly which ones to try first, especially since this is my first novel. If someone can recommend some good publishers for me, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

That is your previous thread here. Apparently you aren't willing to do any of your own homework on any aspect of publishing. If you had even bothered to read the threads in the Agents forum, you would know that writers don't "hire" or "pay" agents.

Jody, if you are serious about publishing, you'll have to get serious about educating yourself as well. Do the homework.
    Last edited by leslee; 07-23-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Start with our own Resources forum. It lists sites, books etc. with solid information.

Anyway. . .what do you all think?
    I think you should submit your manuscript to Publish America and hire one of their literary agents. It's very affordable, only $200. Look into it. I'm sure you'll like it.

Sheesh.

Do you have a better suggestion?

< Do you have a better suggestion? >

Maybe not for the OP, but some other newbie could read this, think you were giving serious advice, and go trotting off to find PA.

It's a joke, obviously, but I guess a newbie might go astray. I'd hate to see another dime go to Publish America.

In this case, I'm not convinced "Jody" is for real.
    Last edited by leslee; 07-23-2011 at 04:32 PM.

I think Jody might be a recently-banned, ex-reg who's returned to play, now that mod reins have been loosened.

Yup.

*_*