HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Accepting Submissions for "The Memory Eater" Short Story Anthology

Greetings everyone!

I'm currently accepting submissions for an anthology titled The Memory Eater. Information below:

“Have a cheating ex you can’t stop thinking about? How about a past failure which now defines you? Do you wish you could forget about the time you walked in on your parents making your brother or sister?

“Yes? Well then today’s your lucky day. Introducing the brand new Memory Eater—an orb-like device that fits neatly around your head like a diver’s helmet with the ability to locate and destroy any memory in the human mind.

“Victims of rape no longer need to fear dating. Drunk drivers don’t have to regret getting back on the road. And for those who have lost loved ones, you no longer need to mourn.

“Today is a new day. Today is your day. Start it off by deleting the past so you can save your future.”

And so reads the advertisement for the Memory Eater. Performed by licensed technicians, the process is fairly simple. Go to a Memory Eater store and let a licensed technician enter your mind for five minutes. After a simple search and destroy command, followed by a mind defragmentation, the selected memory will be gone from the customer’s memory forever.

But be warned, for sometimes memories are strung together. Like an ex-husband and children. Or drugs and a $50,000 college education. And if a licensed technician makes a mistake (only 3% error rate), you may forget how to walk, or how to talk, or how to go to the bathroom.

There have also been reports of “subject tampering”. For instance, a man went in to have his nagging wife deleted, but it turns out his wife paid the technician more money to wipe video games, beer and sports from his mind. Now the man apparently watches The Notebook every night while eating bonbons with his wife.

But such is the case with any new technology. There are always pros and cons, glitches and total catastrophes.

Anthology Information:

· Submissions will be open from March 15, 2011 to June 15, 2011. They will close on June 15, 2011 at midnight.
    · Writers will split an equal amount of the profits.

Guidelines for your story:

· With the summary above serving as the backdrop for your story, at least one of your characters should have a memory erased.
    · Every genre is acceptable.
    · I'm looking for 25-30 stories total, ranging from humorous to thought-provoking to emotional. I want to see how this technology goes wrong. How it goes right. What effect it has on our future.
    · Above all else, these stories should be entertaining.
    · There is no word count or limit on submissions.

Guidelines for sending your story:

· Email your stories to: anthologies2011@gmail.com
    · Please paste your story in the body of the email. I won't open attachments.
    · You do not need to include a cover letter or qualification.
    · You do need to include your name and contact information.

Feel free to email me with any questions. I'm a pretty laid back guy, so don't be shy.

I want to thank you in advance for participating, and I look forward to reading your stories.

C. P.
    http://www.anthologies2011.blogspot.com/

Re: Accepting Submissions for "The Memory Eater" Short Story Anthology

"· Writers will split an equal amount of the profits."

What profits would that be?

The profits the anthology earns.

Do you have a publishing deal?

Where are the works going to be published?
    Where are they going to be sold? & how much for? & in what format?
    Who owns the rights?
    Who decides the order of the stories?
    Who decides which ones are selected and why?
    What happens to all the others which are not selected?
    What is the timeframe from submission to slection and then selection to publication?

That's just a few questions I have off the top of my head
    if the wine is sour – throw it out

SatyricalRaven

Hey everyone,

It is not my intention to confuse or misguide anyone, so I'm going to be as clear as possible while answering these questions.

Where are the works going to be published?

I laid out the plan on my blog last night. Sorry if this is long:

I'm aiming to release this anthology as print-on-demand through CreateSpace, and sell it on Amazon. I will also be talking with a local print who is publishing an anthology I'm included in. I plan to release the anthology as an ebook next through Kindle and other formats.

After the book has been available for a few weeks, I also plan to release it as a free PDF file. The point of this is to generate buzz/readers. So for every person who reads it for free, you hope they bring in two or more potential customers.

The authors of Machine of Death said it best when they addressed handing out their book as a free PDF:

"Why are we doing this? Aren’t we worried about hurting our book sales? In a word: no. You have proven time and again that you are willing to pay for content that you find valuable. You have shown that you are driven to share material that you fall in love with. And we are committed to ensuring that you can experience our work whether you can afford to buy a book or not; whether you live in a country that Amazon ships to or not; whether you have space in your life for a stack of paper or not."

Fact is, if the book is compelling, it will sell.

The main focus will be climbing the Amazon charts. It's the strategy the authors of Machine of Death used, in which they picked a date where everyone would buy the book on Amazon in hopes of cracking the top 100. Well, turns out, they hit #1, and stayed there for quite some time, thus making a bunch of people scratch their heads and say, "Machine of Death? What's that?" And then more people bought the book. And this just happened at the end of 2010.

Where are they going to be sold? & how much for? & in what format?

I plan to sell the anthology as POD on Amazon. How much? I can’t really put a price on the anthology until I have a rough estimate of the word count/number of pages. After the POD version is available for a few weeks, I hope to begin releasing the anthology in every format possible.

Who owns the rights?

While the contract I'm creating is still in early development, I'm most likely going to ask authors for exclusive rights for six months to one year. After that time period, the author will be able to do with the story as he/she pleases.

But when an author gets the final contract, if there is something he/she disagrees with, we can negotiate. I'm a fair guy, and my intention is not to rip anyone off, but to promote great writing.

Who decides the order of the stories?

Once I select the stories that will be included in the anthology, I want everyone to have a fair say in what happens next. Fact is, I'm an author too, so this work will be a collective effort. As far as the order of the stories? Once I finish compiling the book, I will send it out to all of the authors for feedback/suggestions. After a week, I will most likely hold an online workshop to discuss it.

Who decides which ones are selected and why?

I will be selecting the stories.

What happens to all the others which are not selected?

The same thing that happens to stories which aren't selected for publication elsewhere.

What is the timeframe from submission to slection and then selection to publication?

I will have selected the final stories 6-8 weeks after June 15, 2011. Then I will take 2-4 weeks to compile and edit. One week for a workshop/plan of action meeting. 2-4 weeks to release the POD version. I think that's aiming for an October 2011 release.

I hope I answered most of your questions. I'm taking a gamble with this project, but it's an idea I believe strongly in. If others don't see it that way, I suggest they stay away from this project, because in the end, it's going to be a group effort to make this a success.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

C. P.

Another well-meaning but gormless endeavour. At least potential contributors have a clearer idea now of what they'd be wasting their time on. And it'll be a learning experience for all, so, not a complete waste.

Good luck.

I agree wih Frank 'Another well-meaning but gormless endeavour'

I also have an issue with what you wrote:
    'I'm aiming to release this anthology as print-on-demand through CreateSpace, and sell it on Amazon. I will also be talking with a local print who is publishing an anthology I'm included in. I plan to release the anthology as an ebook next through Kindle and other formats'

My point is, you want people to pay you 5 pounds per entry and yet you do not even have one confirmed print point. This seems like 'cart before the horse' to me. What assurance is there on your part?

Additionally, 'After the book has been available for a few weeks, I also plan to release it as a free PDF file'
    Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but you have no (known) name in the literary/publishing world and your intent is to sell the book 'for a few weeks' online.

How many sales do you expect to make in a few weeks? 1? 5? and then after that offer it for free. Now you also mention your intent to have rights for either 6 months or one year. So the author will pay you 5 pounds, have little or no say on how their work will be producted/distributed etc. and after 2 weeks their work will be available for free. (I'm assuming there will be author copyright?) So those that pay 5 pounds can expect to see nothing for that money - OK one will win 100 pounds - but what about the rest? They cannot publish anywhere else as the work is already out there. They cannot use it as bio info as it's self-published. They cannot make any claims to have 'sold' 1000 copies in their bio because it is being given away for free. Do you see what I'm saying? There are way too many holes here.

Additionally, you go on to say,'I think that's aiming for an October 2011' so you don't even have a set date.

Again, I am not suggesting that you are attempting anything other than naive optimism, but naive optimism does not pay the bills nor add to a writers creds. Perhaps you should start by creating a great blog/website. Invite people to become members. Get to know the industry and the industry movers. Invite one of them to become part of the 'team' and offer critique on short stories/poems (whatever).

Then from there, you GET the cred to create what you are suggesting as you'll have a name, following and the respect of the writing industry.

All this of-course takes time and I'm talking years.

5 pounds in not the end of the world, but spending money for essentially nothing, not even critique by someone recognised within the industry, seems a waste of money and everyones time.

I could be wrong, and hope I am, but ambition is not the only factor in success.

SatyricalRaven

Satyrical Raven, I'm not sure where you're getting "5 pounds" from. Authors do not pay anything to submit their story to me. Are you referring to postage? If so, submissions are sent to me electronically. Other than that, the authors risk nothing except writing a story and taking a chance. Worst case scenario is, you wrote a new story and have a bigger portfolio. How's that a bad thing?

Is there a chance this won't pan out how I expect it to? Sure. But I'd rather take a chance and fail than sit around and let an opportunity pass me by.

"Additionally, 'After the book has been available for a few weeks, I also plan to release it as a free PDF file'
    Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but you have no (known) name in the literary/publishing world and your intent is to sell the book 'for a few weeks' online."

Not sure if you didn't fully read the plan of action, but I'm following the path of a successful anthology (Machine of Death) which had unknown names in the literary world. Yes, they sold it online for a few weeks before releasing it for free. Yes, there was a reason. I listed that.

Am I totally unknown? No necessarily. I have two short stories published in legit anthologies. Does that matter? Not really. Especially since I'm going to be selling an idea. Fact is, if you don't like the idea, don't submit. If you'd rather sit and worry about how this anthology is going to pay the bills, then this probably isn't the opportunity you've been waiting for.

Why don't I know exact dates of every single detail? Because there are too many variables.

Like I said, the only thing you're risking is the time to write a story, but then you own another story.

Best to the both of you.
    C. P.

Sorry, my mistake, the 5 pounds was from a previous poster and I mixed the two up - again sorry.

As for the rest, my points remain.

I wish you luck but having stories published in anthologies does not make you 'known' - I have had more than that and I am nothing and no-one in the lit field.

Regardless, my post and suggestions were well meaning.

Good luck to you also.

SatyricalRaven