HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Carole. It's late at night and I'm half-asleep, so I have no questions just yet. But I wanted to thank you both for taking the time to answer our questions and for sharing your story. Good luck to you!!!

Carole, thank you so much for sharing this!
    Every word of your article came just in time for me. You made me realize I also forgot what creative writing is all about, pouring all my energies into an attempt to "conquer" the industry.

Thank you so much!
    Zoe :-)
    Pre-Columbian North America

http://blog.zoesaadia.com/

Carole, hello and welcome.

It seems with the ever changing industry that writers are asked how they plan to self promote along with what the agency/pub will do (at least I see this in many submission policies of agents that i've come across). Do you blog, maintain a webpage, tweet etc., to help your readership grow? How much time do you dedicate to writing on say a daily basis, blogging, etc.?

Have you as a writer noticed the shift toward ebooks? How do you feel about them?

Thank you for sharing your story of success and of the pitfalls. And, thank you for answering our questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Saadia View Post
    Carole, thank you so much for sharing this!
    Every word of your article came just in time for me. You made me realize I also forgot what creative writing is all about, pouring all my energies into an attempt to "conquer" the industry.

Thank you so much!
    Zoe :-)
    Hi, Zoe. I'm so glad the article helped. I know I learned a lot from my experience, and it's definitely made me a happier person. I'm doing what I know I'm meant to do, and just no worrying about the outcome. Maybe that's not ambitious, but you know what? I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Avonne Writer View Post
    Carole, hello and welcome.

It seems with the ever changing industry that writers are asked how they plan to self promote along with what the agency/pub will do (at least I see this in many submission policies of agents that i've come across). Do you blog, maintain a webpage, tweet etc., to help your readership grow? How much time do you dedicate to writing on say a daily basis, blogging, etc.?

Have you as a writer noticed the shift toward ebooks? How do you feel about them?

Thank you for sharing your story of success and of the pitfalls. And, thank you for answering our questions.
    Hi, Avonne. Great questions! Back when I first started out, I bent over backward promoting my books, my website. I was known in my circle of writing friends as "the booksigning queen." I maintained a monthly guestlist at Yahoo, and wrote monthly newsletters and had contests on my website. When money allowed, I took out ads in RWR and once in Romantic Times. But when those things didn't seem to affect my sales--that, in addition to garnering great reviews and winning awards, I pretty much lost interest, feeling my time would be better served concentrating on the writing. I still have my newsletter group--http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bellacera/ if you'd like to join--and I do a monthly blog as well. Right now, I'm sharing chapters of my e-book, TANGO'S EDGE. http://tangosedge.blogspot.com/ (scroll down for the first chapter) And I still run a monthly contest at my website, giving away books and one-of-a-kind beaded jewelry which I make. www.CaroleBellacera.com. But that's pretty much it. That will probably change when...you notice I said WHEN, not IF, I release a new book. (I'm shopping one now; it's out with three agents.) As for writing time...that's difficult these days. Like I said, my paycheck comes from being a writing instructor at Long Ridge Writers Group, http://www.longridgewritersgroup.com/, so that takes up a lot of time. Also, my daughter is writing a book in collaboration with one of my students, MOMMIES NEED SLEEP, TOO, a collection of heartwarming, humorous stories for young mothers, and I've agreed to edit it for them. I am, however, working on a book titled INCENSE & PEPPERMINTS, about a combat nurse in Vietnam. I'm about 12 chapters into it. It's coming slowly, but I'm excited about it. It's a subject very close to my heart because I served in the Air Force during the Vietnam War as a medical technician.

As for e-books, I think they're great, but no, I don't own a Kindle...yet. However, all my books are available at Amazon Kindle, and at Smashwords for other readers. That's given new life to my out-of-print books, and I think that's an awesome thing! It may not make a lot of money, but it's exciting to know that anyone can still read my work, even my out-of-print titles.

Carole, thanks.

Best of luck with your new book, it sounds interesting (and i'm sure it will be successful).

Wow, you served in the Air Force? Good for you. My daughter is at the USNA right now, well, she's finishing 2nd block and then heading home for a quick break before school starts up again.

I don't own a Kindle, either. I have the app on my Mac, but don't use it. Still prefer the ol' paper turning myself. Plus, I get so tired of looking at a backlit screen (writing on my comptr) that it's a break for my eyes to go to paper. Anyway, best of luck to you, and thanks so much for dropping in to chat with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Avonne Writer View Post
    Carole, thanks.

Best of luck with your new book, it sounds interesting (and i'm sure it will be successful).

Wow, you served in the Air Force? Good for you. My daughter is at the USNA right now, well, she's finishing 2nd block and then heading home for a quick break before school starts up again.

I don't own a Kindle, either. I have the app on my Mac, but don't use it. Still prefer the ol' paper turning myself. Plus, I get so tired of looking at a backlit screen (writing on my comptr) that it's a break for my eyes to go to paper. Anyway, best of luck to you, and thanks so much for dropping in to chat with us.
    Yeah, I was in the Air Force for four years. I worked at Scott AFB in the newborn nursery and Labor & Delivery. After two years there, they sent me to Crete, and that's where I met my husband of 37 years. I'll bet you're excited to see your daughter. Where will she be stationed?

Carole. Hi. Do you know what the process is for getting a blurb from another writer for a book? Thanks. Good luck with your new book.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tinman View Post
    Carole. Hi. Do you know what the process is for getting a blurb from another writer for a book? Thanks. Good luck with your new book.
    Hi, Tinman. It's difficult to get a blurb from a published author, especially a NYT bestselling author...which of course, it the kind of blurb you'd like to get. You really can't approach them and ask them, for example at a writers' conference. They're constantly bombarded with requests, and it's just not feasible to expect them to give up their time--their writing time--to read a new author's book. If you're being published by a royalty-paying publishing house, usually, the editor will contact their other published authors and see about getting blurbs. That's how it happened with me. Andrew Greeley's books are published by Forge/Tor, so I was lucky enough to get a blurb for BORDER CROSSINGS from him. I also received a blurb from NYT bestselling author, Tess Gerritsen. Only because I'd known her in Hawaii, and she was kind enough to read my book when I told my editor that. Then my editor contacted her--because it would've been much easier for Tess to turn her down than to turn me down. That's why authors hate being contacted by another author about blurbs. It really puts them in an awkward position of having to say no. If you're lucky enough to have a really good friend who is an established author, then by all means, ask her, but if you don't know them well, or if you've just met them at a writers' conference, definitely don't put them on the spot. I made that mistake once. I asked a writer friend...at least I considered HER a friend...if she'd read my book and give me a blurb, and our relationship took a dramatic change...in fact, I never heard from her much after that...and I never did get that blurb.

Carole. Thanks so much. I appreciate it.