HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Can I get advice for a contract bet. the author and the person the story belongs to?

I've written a friend's story. A publisher is now interested in the manuscript but wants us to sign a contract between the two of us. I know it was dumb to start the project without writing a contract, but we both didn't know what and how. Six years later, (3 babies and building a house as well) I finally finished the manuscript and got a publisher interested. They made a 3-way contract for us, but won't finish it until we sign something between us. My problem is I have no idea how to write this contract. Calling a lawyer will cost me money that I don't have. Any advice on how to write this or even what to write into it? Thank you.

Google is your friend. I just plugged in "Sample coauthor contract" and a list came up. The first one I clicked on provided this sample contract:

http://www.adlerbooks.com/collab.html

Thank you so much, Gary. You cannot imagine how many people I've asked about this and no one, not even one person, mentioned the word coauthor to me. I tried googling lawyers asking them my question. I've just never thought of using the word coauthor mostly because we aren't really coauthors per se. I'm the author. she's the one who has lived the story. But your response has helped me greatly. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks again, so much!

I understand. Coauthoring is one form of what the industry calls "collaboration." An author writing someone elses story in either both of their names or as the author of record is another form of collaboration. The agreement I point you to is for collaboration, so it should basically work for your case.

I think it definitely will. I've already read it and tweaked it and emailed it to her. Thank you again.