HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Words commonly misused

In another thread, Leslee mentioned the common misuse of the word "jive" instead of "jibe." What are some other words or phrases you find commonly used incorrectly?

Two that I hear a lot are "literally" (I literally fell out of my seat when I heard the announcement) and "I could care less." I'm sure there are many others. What ones do you notice?

Cheryl
    Justin Bieber: "I was sent by God to sing."
    Corey Taylor: "I didn't send you!"

Aver0n 2o11
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6orjsZhMxg4

This is the last part of a comedy show by Adam Hills called "Characterful" in which he talks about people and their misuse of the word "surreal". Very funny. Also includes a reference to criteria/criterion.

So many.

Regardless becomes irregardless.

Flustrated instead of frustrated.

I shouldn't even get started about mispronouncing words. PERscription instead of prescription. NUKUlar instead of nuclear. (George W. drove me nuts with that one).

Then there's the current habit of turning the letter "s" into an "sh" sound. Lots of people do it. Radio announcers, news anchors celebrities, our First Lady. Strong becomes shtrong. Restaurant becomes reshtaurant. It's remarkable how many television chefs can't pronounce the word restaurant. Destroyed becomes deshtroyed.

But, you know, this is how languages evolve. In the future, everyone will be saying it the wrong way, and eventually it will become the right way, and I'll be the oddball with my sharp letter "s."

Someone who hones in on a target using a jerry-rigged device. And I've always detested different than (instead of different from), but I'm on the losing side of that one.

Then there's the current habit of turning the letter "s" into an "sh" sound.
    Yes, that should be reserved for drinking binges ONLY.

And do you know anyone who uses the word apropos appropriately?

Moot and mute drive me nuts. SOOOO many people say 'mute point' that I want to slap them silly.

And, Karl Rove did a stint on O'reilly yesterday where he was holding a white board and had receipt spelled wrong. Or people say, John Hopkins, when it's Johns Hopkins. But, I really shouldn't complain, 'cause I'm the worst offender.... or near the worst.

Debbi Voisey
    Supposably or supposingly drive me mad.

Also "I did good" or "I slept good". It's WELL, people!! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbi Voisey View Post
    Also "I did good" or "I slept good". It's WELL, people!! Lol.
    Unless you add "done", i.e. "I done good" or "I done slept good." Then it's acceptable.

Amy Lou
    I'm ashamed to admit that I just looked up the difference between effect and affect! Shame on me! LOL

Advice and advise!!!!!!!

And I'm with Cheryl on the "I could care less" bit. I swear 99% of people get this wrong every time.