HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tracking the Amazon Sales Rank of Your Book

I'm new to this forum, so as a fellow writer, I thought I'd dive in by sharing a helpful free resource that might be of interest to both the self-published authors and traditionally published authors who sell books and Kindle ebooks on Amazon.

NovelRank for iPhone - the Amazon sales rank tracking app - enables authors, publishers, and book marketers to track and compare the Amazon sales rank statistics for printed books and Kindle Edition ebooks across several Amazon country sites. The app supports tracking through free NovelRank.com user accounts, which can sort books by title, sales rank or last sale. The app also provides a graphical history of daily sales estimates and hourly sales rankings.

If your book's web site, blog, Twitter, and Facebook Page drive traffic to your Amazon book page, then tracking your sales rank history via NovelRank is a great way to determine if and when your online marketing tactics are effective. It's also a convenient way to compare your book's sales rank with competing books.

Available as a free app download on the iOS App Store. If you want to try out the app before creating your own free NovelRank.com account, then within the app, simply assign the user account name to:*demo

App Store URL: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/novel...423938573?mt=8

If you don't own an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, then you can also track your book's Amazon sales ranking on the NovelRank.com site.

I'm allowing this one, because it's a link to the apple store, but in general - wait to post links until you've posted at least 10 substantive comments anywhere on the site.
    Thanks!
    Writers.Net Moderator

Thanks, Victoria! Sorry, I didn't realize there was a 10-post req. before including links. Thanks for your flexibility.

No problem
    Writers.Net Moderator

I make sense of Amazon rankings by disemboweling a chicken and examining its entrails. Often, as a byproduct, I can also determine the winners of upcoming elections.

It's a gift. :)

Ha! Thanks for the laugh, Frank. Very funny and much needed on a Monday.

He wasn't joking.

jayce is right. *shakes head solemnly*

*_*

Well, I thought it was funny because it is so much of a mystery. I think we'd all love to know exactly how Amazon sales ranks are calculated by Amazon. Unfortunately, Amazon has never revealed the algorithm behind how they calculate their sales ranking. Even though Amazon uses them like their own version of Billboard charts (except for books), they definitely seem to be based on a combination of factors, not just sales. As writers, all we do know for sure is that with Amazon being the world's largest bookseller, their sales rank charts (along with other factors like customer reviews, book covers, and Amazon Author pages) can be an important piece in the book marketing equation.

So that's where my chicken went. Damn.