HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Hey, Joe

I feel what you're saying. But, yeah, I think Kitty got what I was doing/where I was going. I did truly agree with the others (I swear I read thru the comments--for the most part), and I figured 50 people agreeing on something is more powerful--barely, but true, IMO--than 49 folks. And then I was just kinda-sorta trying to be a lil' bit funny (plus a lil' excited to be back here and seeing old WN peeps).

Also, sometimes, I think it's okay to add anything (within reason, of course) to a thread, seeing as it pops it up to the top of the stream (I've seen threads at the top that had died but someone was late coming to the party and posted, and if they hadn't, I mighta missed it forever).

P.S. I think you were being somewhat funny/tongue-in-cheek with the Slashdot line (going to look that up--not sure what that is , but if not, receiving a -1 for a "slow person" comment would be somewhat hilarious! But then, to be fair, I'd hope I'd receive a +3 for one my epic, super-duper ones

No, I wasn't being funny. -1 Redundant is one of the possible moderations on Slashdot, but "slow person" isn't, and you can only mod a particular post up or down by one. Of course, if you're karma is good enough, you post at 2 instead of 1, as I have for lo, these many years now. By all means, look up Slashdot, and see why it calls itself, "News for nerds, stuff that matters!"

Doesn't dialogue tag use depend on what genre you're writing? Ten days ago I received Bill Camaron's County Line and was surprised by the absence of tags. I haven't finished it yet but any page you open to there are zero tags.

Recently I read the Tales of Narnia C.S. Lewis from the 50's, actually haven't finished it yet because it started boring me( should I be embarrassed?). But it was geared toward younger readers. One of the reasons it bores me is the use of he said she said. The "said' tag question is one that I've considered lately because I've been reading books on writing craft. I find contrived using too many unusual tags and after reading a post by grammerGirl found that the dialogue should express the tag. What are your thoughts? genre versus tags?

Quote Originally Posted by A.E. Arcangioli View Post
    Doesn't dialogue tag use depend on what genre you're writing? Ten days ago I received Bill Camaron's County Line and was surprised by the absence of tags. I haven't finished it yet but any page you open to there are zero tags.

Recently I read the Tales of Narnia C.S. Lewis from the 50's, actually haven't finished it yet because it started boring me( should I be embarrassed?). But it was geared toward younger readers. One of the reasons it bores me is the use of he said she said. The "said' tag question is one that I've considered lately because I've been reading books on writing craft. I find contrived using too many unusual tags and after reading a post by grammerGirl found that the dialogue should express the tag. What are your thoughts? genre versus tags?
    My answer to this is: "Of course." Our audience, IMO, is always the focus of anything we write. I know it's been mentioned that we should write what we want to read--and I agree--however, in regards to style (and especially if we're looking to have folks read our works), I believe we have to keep deep-in-mind HOW our Readers want to read this particualr material. Of course, as a Writer, it's tough to sit there and write something like: "blah, blah, blah," he growled. But if that's what gets the blood moving in your audience, then at the very least, we must make a compromise and insert a few of those...but just trying not to give "Dumb-up" sign to the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by A.E. Arcangioli View Post

Recently I read the Tales of Narnia — C.S. Lewis from the 50's, actually haven't finished it yet because it started boring me( should I be embarrassed?). But it was geared toward younger readers. One of the reasons it bores me is the use of he said she said. The "said' tag question is one that I've considered lately because I've been reading books on writing craft. I find contrived using too many unusual tags and after reading a post by grammerGirl found that the dialogue should express the tag. What are your thoughts? genre versus tags?
    Not by genre, as far as I know--although it can seem so if a writer is trying to mimic the style of an established writer in the genre. Your examples seem a contrast of writing era, not genre.

I agree the examples I gave are definitely different time periods. My observation was more about the age group. Back in the 50's they didn't have YA which is now defined as a genre. Maybe I'm wrong, is YA considered a genre? Romance, thriller action are genres, how can YA be a genre, it is a category. I need to get coffee, it's too early to think.

YA is technically considered a genre, though I like to think of it more as a "category" with genres of its own, i.e. thriller, romance, historical, contemporary, etc.

(It's going on 5 a.m. here and I'm still awake and still drinking coffee)

Jena, if I drank coffee till 5 a.m., I'd be a wreck