HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Connecting two parts in one novel

I'm having some difficulty trying to connect two different parts in my novel. I am finally finished editing the first part, and I just need a couple pages of connecting material that flows into part two. Should I call it "In Limbo" or "Chapter 17 1/2" or are those both stupid? Any suggestions?

You mean, it can't just be the next chapter? If not, why not? The question is a little vague and I'm not sure what you're asking. Sorry.

I don't want a full chapter, I just want a couple pages, almost like a prologue but it's in the middle of the novel.

So, any reason you can't start the next chapter with a couple pages of what you want to include? What's the story about, and what do you want to insert before Part II? I don't mean to sound dense, but this just isn't computing.

Maybe someone else can chime in?

Haha, it's okay. I'm kind of being obscure. Part I is about the religious intolerance that surrounds homosexuality and it follows Jake through a storm of depression and darkness. Part II finds Jake in an abusive relationship. I have the opening to Part II (and 8 more chapters) written, I'm just trying to make the two parts flow.

So, there's a window of time that passes between Part I and Part II that just needs to be filled in without going into too much detail? Is that it?

Yes! I've cut out some of the "fluff" material and I don't want too much detail, just cut and dry yet still interesting.

Okay, well, my suggestion to start the next chapter with a page or two of transitional information would be the way to go, imo. You know, start out with something like,

"The following three years found Jake moving from one intolerant town to another and another, each one with its own version of the incompetent psychotherapist. He was this close to giving up completely when he stumbled upon Niceville, a lovely little village that professed "Where Everyone is Treated Like Family!" right on its welcome sign, and he fell for it hook, line and sinker. It was almost like Mr. Wonderful was waiting for his arrival when he stopped in the cafe for a quick bite to eat and directions to the boarding house with a room to rent."

Okay, not good, but you get the idea. Thoughts?

Cin

That was actually really good! LOL! I like that idea, and about five minutes before you posted this, I was just starting to connect the two with this:

"Nicole left me just as things were on the upswing. When she exited my life it was like she was taking my spine with her. I wasn’t sure how to live my life without her. She wanted to return to our hometown to attend a college that was only half an hour away. I couldn’t blame her for wanting to continue her education and live with her new boyfriend, but she left me with a dirty apartment and close to no furniture. It worked out in the end, as I moved into the dorms to finish my second year at college. I had everything under control. My body was back, I was academically excelling, and my place among the legendary man-eaters was firmly established. I found it empowering to use as many guys as I could."

Not done, but it's on the way. Sorry for my obscurity. I'm not sure why it was so hard to articulate what I wanted.

I think C. Bets has the idea. You could sectionalize it (separate with * * * *) if you didn't want it to bleed into the second part too much.