HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hunger Games and The Fire In Fiction

So, some of you know (or maybe just one of you) that I stepped outside my normal genre comfort zones and purchased a copy of The Hunger Games, primarily because SOMEONE recommended it as a shining example of good first-person present POV storytelling. And he couldn't have been more correct if he tried! Good job, Keith -- really, really good job!! I've got Catching Fire on order now as I type, as I am getting dangerously close to the end of The Hunger Games.

Speaking of fire . . .

Others have recommended The Fire in Fiction as a good reference to help me figure out how to inject some life and proper execution into my story. Or something like that. Honestly, I haven't gotten very far in it yet, considering how long I have had it. Just been busy with life and trying not to die in this heat down south where I am. But so far, I think I'm less than 40 pages in and am already seeing some things to improve upon. Maass has already referenced several works that I feel I should probably give a good once-over for examples of fiery fiction. BTW, didn't know Fight Club was a book before it was a movie. Hmmh!

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries
    I liked his Breakout Novel better, though there is considerable overlap. I still refer to my Breakout notes before starting a new project.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

Yeah I saw that one on Amazon, too. Should I read that BEFORE Fire or does it matter?

Fire wasn't all that great to me but, again, there was considerable overlap and I read Breakout several times. It's one of my top two most useful writing books ever and I can't overstate what DM's concepts did for the big-picture aspects of my writing. YMMV, though. Your take will be just as subjective as everything else in this biz. I'm sure plenty of folks didn't like it.

- Bob Dylan

YMMV?

Sorry, my webspeak is not that great. Help!!

your mileage may vary

Sorry! I meant that different resources help different people. I loved it and it seemed what I needed. You could hate it, or maybe you need nuts & bolts help where Breakout is a big-picture type aid. Either way, one hardly wastes his time reading Donald Maass. Luck.

- Bob Dylan

Yeah, I think right now I'm in a "nuts and bolts" mode. Gimme the basics to get to "big picture" phase.

I'll tell ya, a great short book on writing is The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman. He's an agent and tells what he looks for writing wise to exclude submissions.

- Bob Dylan

I actually have that one, on loan from a local writer friend. I'll have to give it a look-see once I am finished with this one. Making notes as I go along, so it's taking me awhile to get through. I do keep making notes of the works that Maass references throughout, as good examples of works that do what he's talking about. Have actually ordered one of them already.