HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

good examples of first person present narration

OK, so I am looking for books out there that are GOOD examples of first-person present narration. Thought Jodi Picoult did a good job of that, in multiple voices no less, with My Sister's Keeper and, per a fellow board member's recommendation, I am observing Suzanne Collin's mastery of that technique with The Hunger Games. But it gives me pause to wonder if there are other examples anyone might want to recommend, especially examples of first-person present in multiple voices. Of course, I'll take bad examples too. It's always a good learning experience to see what not to do.

Belinda T.
    I love JP.

Sue Grafton does an excellent job as well. Here's a link with an interview and her take on contradictions, etc.

http://www.edrants.com/the-bat-segun...w-sue-grafton/

Note the "Books to Jump Up and Down Over" portion...here's an excerpt:
    The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard: This unlikely cross between Stewart O'Nan and Joshua Ferris proves to not only be strikingly successful, but the announcement of a major writing talent. Unlike the overrated Ferris, Pittard's use of the first person plural actually counts for something -- the unwieldy masculine mass of gossip mongers speculates over what may have happened to a missing 16-year-old girl and reveals how casually misogynistic and assumptive American culture has become in the 21st century. This is a creepy yet beautiful book that, if you have a soul, will get under your skin.
    Last edited by Belinda T.; 06-22-2011 at 08:59 AM.

"The House of Sand and Fog"--2 first-person POVs by two vastly different characters. Excellent!

hmm. house of sand and fog looks very interesting. i just might have to read that one next.

I love Jodi Picoult too. Reading Handle With Care right now which is done with 5 POV's.

One book that I love (but read before I started writing) was The Time Travellers Wife with 2 POV's.

Liza B.
    TALKING IT OVER by Julian Barnes has 4 different first-person narrators, each with their own take on an affair.

My favorite novelist who only wrote in the first-person is Thomas Bernhard.

might check that one out too. thanks!

Another one for the list: The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All, by Alan Gurganis. (Hope I have the author's name right!) Mmm...Not sure it's in present tense, though. But still a good read, and the narrator has a powerful voice.

Jeanne

Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz has multiple first-person POV narratives and is a great book.

The book that really influenced me to experiment with first-person POV was Bag of Bones by Stephen King -- one of my all-time favorite reads -- and a really good look at the mechanics of first-person writing if you read it analytically.

I'll put all these on my list. looks like i gots lotsa studyin' to do.