HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Aver0n 2o11

autobiography vs fantasy in fiction

How much of what you write is autobiographical & how much of it is complete fantasy? Even with the fantasy genre, I'm sure that Harry Potter would have had some influence from Rowling's real life.

I’m no expert, but it seems to me that we draw on things in our lives and/or aspects of our personality in everything we do creatively. Music, writing, painting, sculpting, dance and so on.

After having several people read my MS to help me identify issues in the MS one close friend observed that a character in my book, (who is about 20yrs older than me and physically looks nothing like me), was actually based on me. To be honest, I had not seen it until she explained.

“Your character Cecilia was taught languages, arts and Latin by her parents. She also understands about various peoples faiths and she has a natural protective personality. She is strong and determined without being nasty….” (this went on for a bit longer).

Truth be told, I hadn’t realised people see me this way, but given Cecilia is a wonderful character, I couldn’t have been happier to think that is what people perceive me as.

My point? Without planning it, I had drawn on myself to create Cecilia. And the more I thought about it, even the evil creature’s characters were drawn from me, the darker side of me. OK, I don’t kill people or plan to be nasty, but deep within me, like with everyone, there is a ‘darkness’ and I drew on that to make the characters real.

Fantasy, magical-realism, romance, thriller… whatever the genre, it seems to me that there is a bit of ‘us’ in each tale.

Just my opinion though.
    if the wine is sour throw it out

SatyricalRaven