HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cutting out an entire part to make a novel more mainstream?

Okay, I have written part one of my novel, and am working on part two. Since part one is essentially a coming out story and there seems to be a lot of those kinds of books, should I cut it out completely? Part two is more literature based, just with gay and lesbian characters. I've worked so hard on part one. I am so torn.

Amy Lou
    Hi Kyle, I'm certainly not an expert (wish I were) and have no idea about coming out stories and how many are out there, but I personally would find it interesting and aren't you building your character? Will part two be as interesting without all that background. Have you read other coming out stories? How might yours be told differently? I think if it's different enough it will be interesting. Or are all coming out stories the same, kid raised in a christian home, church going, disapproving parents, shocked friends.... I have no idea. But I think your story sounds great as is. What do I know?? LOL

Hey Amy,

Well, apparently Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs is supposed to be a coming out story, but I disagree. It's more of an "I'm gay, it's not a big deal, but I've had weird stuff happen in my life" whereas mine is "Church boy talks a walk on the dark side when devout mother rejects her son." It's more about acceptance, and coming out is a big moment in part one, but I wouldn't say it's the biggest moment. Part two can stand alone without the background as it dives into the abusive relationship I had.

I admit that the gay/lesbian genre is not one that I am familiar with, so I really can't speak with any authority. However, when friends of mine have shared their stories the actual "coming out" is not a huge deal.. much of the same thing. So I would not feature it in great detail but since your story starts with him at school, I would mention it but not feature it. If you are already instinctively doubting its importance, then go with it.

Right. This could explain my utter disconnection I've been having form this project.

Kyle,

Have you finished a complete draft of the book yet? I wouldn't cut anything until I could see the big picture. Write part two and see where it goes. Keep going until you get to the finish line. Then set the book aside for a few days or weeks. Do anything but look at that draft. You want to be able to approach it with an analytical eye. When you start the edits, you may want to begin with the easy stuff first: grammar, tightening sentence structure, cleaning up adverbs, etc. Then work on the structure.

After all of that work, after you have a good edited draft, send it off to beta readers to get their feedback.

Just my thoughts...

Jeanne

I've spent a lot of time tightening up part one, but maybe you're right about stepping away from it for a bit.

No, don't get stuck on part one. Just keep writing the book. You can worry about how it will fit together after you finish a draft. I've seen too many people spend years editing the first chapters of their novel--and they never finish.

Jeanne

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne Gassman View Post
    No, don't get stuck on part one. Just keep writing the book. You can worry about how it will fit together after you finish a draft. I've seen too many people spend years editing the first chapters of their novel--and they never finish.

Jeanne
    So true, Jeanne. Kyle, finish the first draft. You can wade through the crap later. That's the fun part, and no, I'm not being facetious; it really is. :-) Revisions are when you take your mound of crap and mold it into something amazing.

Alright, I will just finish what I have. Thanks guys!