HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

journaling, blogging, et. al.

OK, so I am taking the advice of Christina Katz (author of Writer Mama), and am keeping a daily journal again. I just spend about thirty minutes throwing words down on paper, usually about things I am wrestling with, things I have discovered that day, upcoming events in my life, etc. Must have forgotten what a moment of Zen that journaling can be for the writer's mind. Also, I have been loosely toying with the idea of blogging, because that is something else that she recommends for the Writer Mama for various reasons. Though somehow THAT feels a little mortifying -- don't ask. I've gotten some ideas on what the cost will for a domain and hosting capabilities, and it's actually not as much as I thought. Should be easy to siphon funds out of the family budget for that, without the funds being sorely missed (yes, I am a sneaky one!). Other than that, I have decided that since I am undecided on WHERE my story should begin, I will just write a couple of versions of the same chapter and figure which one is the best. Or perhaps take the best of all of them and meld them together.

In other news, someone recommended I read Hunger Games, to study a terrific example of first person p-o-v narration. So I have! I am still waiting on my copy of Fire in Fiction to arrive, but I have also just received my copy of My Left Foot by Christie (sp?) Brown. So I will be busy with my nose in books henceforth. I just plan on one of them being my own -- well, the first draft of it.

Blogs are free. No need to sneak funds. :)

Frank is right. Both Blogger and Wordpress are free. They have a large variety of templates and options--all free. I use Blogger, but I've heard that Wordpress is quite good, too.

Jeanne

I use Livejournal and cross-post to Blogger. Livejournal is also free, though you can pay for upgrades (I pay 20 a year).

Hmm. Will have to look into those. Thanks!

Belinda T.
    Don't let indecision be a vice. Write something every day. Whether it's a few sentences, paras or pages, get your thoughts out of your head and down on paper or plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ******* T. View Post
    Don't let indecision be a vice. Write something every day. Whether it's a few sentences, paras or pages, get your thoughts out of your head and down on paper or plastic.
    I'm working on that *******. Yesterday evening, I was absolutely unable to get time alone and my son was a chatterbox who kept asking me question after question after question. Made my head swim at some point. So instead of writing after journaling, I just began sketching out. Figured that was better than nothing!

Belinda T.
    Good girl! I know how difficult it is when family intercepts. You're spot-on...something is better than nuthin.

I used to set my alarm and get up at 4 to write when my kids were little.

Yeah, I tried that once. After my eyes shut solid for the third time in ten minutes, I went back to bed.