HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: POV question

<I think writing in third person can be as restricting >

Not necessarily. Third-person POV falls anywhere on a scale of two axes: objective-subjective, and limited-omniscient. Most importantly, third POV is not limited to one character's perspective but can shift from chapter to chapter or even scene to scene. There's worlds of opinion about POV; study up on it before deciding what works best for you.

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries
    Let the story and characters show you. My agent suggested I try rewriting my latest ms in first present. This was after revisions, polishing, revisions, blah blah. Hell, I thought we were ready to submit but she was dying to read my voice in first present. What the hell, so I reread Hunger Games and Jena's debut to get a feel for the flavor and told her I'd redo the first twenty pages. It took fewer than ten for the characters and story to show me it needed to be in first present.

It's not about trends. It's about story and the writing. Redo the first couple chapters and see where it takes you. Just know that you must remain true to whatever POV you choose.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

First of all -- who is Jena and what is the debut novel?

Second -- you're the second person in this thread to mention Hunger Games. Now I GOTS to read it!

Third -- i really feel, in my growling gut, that this story must be told in first person. whether in one voice or multiples, whether in past or present, that remains to be seen. i must ruminate on that a bit longer.

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Hord View Post
    First of all -- who is Jena and what is the debut novel?

Second -- you're the second person in this thread to mention Hunger Games. Now I GOTS to read it!

Third -- i really feel, in my growling gut, that this story must be told in first person. whether in one voice or multiples, whether in past or present, that remains to be seen. i must ruminate on that a bit longer.
    Jena is a wonderful writer and all round fabulous babe who posts here under the name Jena Grace. She may post under another name just to hide from Google fairies but I won't out her identity for fear she has other reasons. Maybe PM her and ask for her titles.

IMO Hunger Games is as well written as anything out there right now. She paints beautiful pictures in first person present tense. I haven't read the others in the series but my daughter loves them and she's a pretty harsh critic.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

Jennifer,

Those of us who have been here a while know Jena is valued and tireless in her assistance to others.
    Regardless of who she is (published or not), she gave her time to try and assist you.

A lot of us use a different names on open websites.
    You really don't know who you are addressing. Jena could be/have been a lit agent or publisher.
    if the wine is sour throw it out

SatyricalRaven

See? The bag over my head WORKS!!!

Very crafty indeed!