HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Combining Two Stories Into One Novel?

I'm considering combing two stories, originally a two book set, into one novel. It would be a big chunk of material. Thoughts?

Hi Kyle,

I think you need to ask - Why?

Do the books not work on their own? Is there not enough material for two books?

Does it make sense to have the two plot-lines moving simultaneously? If you're thinking of adding one right after the other, I'd probably say no. I think that having some plot arcs which move from the beginning to the end of the novel is essential. Otherwise the plot feels like it's all over the place. If it's wordcount you're worrying about - try stripping some sub-plots from the second book and transplanting them into the first. Deal with the second book when you come to it. By then you'll have new ideas for brand new subplots to thicken it up.

Just ideas.

Hello,

The first book is completely done, and the second is a continuation of the first. It follows the same character through his life, just with different circumstances. I am in chapter nine of the second book. The books would work on their own, but I feel the second book doesn't have enough variety to keep the reader interested.

Aver0n 2o11
    That is assuming you will get a two book deal straight off the bat. If you're happy with the first book, you should try to sell it as is & see if you can generate any interest in it. You would need to generate enough sales from the first book to justify to the publishers that they ought to buy your second book.