HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

To edit or not to edit, I'm stuck!

After the critique given by the last publisher, I was sure I was going to edit my novel (yet again). Now, I'm not so sure. If every writer edited their manuscript with every single critique, we wouldn't have any books. I am just not sure what to do at this point. Turn the novel into a script and pitch it to a production company? Lol.

Always consider the source. If the advice was given by an editor at a reputable house, I'd certainly consider making the suggested changes. If it was Joe Shmuck at Overnight Press R Us, I might not. (But then, I wouldn't have subbed to Overnight Press R Us in the first place.)

Here's a True Thing: every writer whose ms is accepted has to do plenty of editing between that point and publication. The editing does NOT stop when a book is accepted.

You make a valid point. I was "done" with this manuscript in August of 2010, and the first two editing rounds were "done" in February of this year. Guess not!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Anderson View Post
    If every writer edited their manuscript with every single critique, we wouldn't have any books.
    People spend years doing precisely that. Don't fall into that trap.

Aver0n 2o11
    The longer you leave between each edit (regardless of whether you did it because of a critique or because you just felt like it of your own accord), the more you will see that needs improving because if you haven't seen your manuscript in a while and then you're re-reading it, you'll notice all these things that you didn't see before when you were tired just from the writing or the editing, but when you're fresh, you suddenly find new ways of doing everything

Quote Originally Posted by Averon 2011 View Post
    The longer you leave between each edit (regardless of whether you did it because of a critique or because you just felt like it of your own accord), the more you will see that needs improving because if you haven't seen your manuscript in a while and then you're re-reading it, you'll notice all these things that you didn't see before when you were tired just from the writing or the editing, but when you're fresh, you suddenly find new ways of doing everything
    True. I'll give it a rest for a while.