HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Book

Michael Jones

My First Book

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums and my name is M.E Jones. I'm only 18 years old and completed my first book a year ago. I'm super excited and want to become a full time novelist. My second novel is already on the go and is looking promising. I hope to be done writing and editing by Christmas this year and have an agent by the start of 2012. I thought I would join the forum so that I could gain more knowledge in the whole process and everything else.

I'll post a link to my novel in hopes that I will get some support but please don't think that this is just some sort of publicity stunt, I will be checking here regularly and chatting with the rest of you!

Hello, Michael. You have a very ambitious plan, and you have my support, but please know that finding an agent is going to take a lot of time. You would benefit from purchasing the Writer's Market 2011 Edition. Or, whichever edition is the newest. Agents also seem to be phasing out of the literary world, and you may be better off representing yourself, if you want to put in the work that goes along with that. There are a number of publishers who accept unsolicited manuscripts, all of which can be found in the Writer's Market. Either way, good luck! Maybe we'll be on the shelf together someday

Kyle said: "Agents also seem to be phasing out of the literary world...."

Care to cite a source for that statement?

And this: "...you may be better off representing yourself..."

What utter, absolute bull****. Submitting a manuscript unsolicited to publishers does not constitute representing yourself. Or maybe you're not aware of what a good agent does. She will vet your manuscript, draw upon her personal knowledge of which editors at which houses are currently searching for anything similar, pitch it, sell it, negotiate a contract, and make sure you get paid. In my opinion, to paraphrase an old adage, "Any writer who represents himself has a fool for a client."

Michael: First, welcome to Writers.net. Second, be wary of advice you receive here. This is a public forum, and anyone--regardless of how well intentioned--can say anything, factual or not.

Good luck with your work. You might consider posting the opening paragraphs of your novel in the writing craft section. The opinions you get will be unbiased, and contrary to the post above, many critiques will come from experienced, published writers.
    Last edited by jayce; 06-09-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Michael, welcome. To clarify what Kyle just said, the majority of major publishing houses--the ones who pay you, rather than the other way around--do not accept unagented manuscripts. Some smaller presses do, but keep in mind that those are the one that pay very small advances or no advance at all, and do minimal marketing OR expect you to do all the marketing yourself. Agents are not, by any means, being "phased out" -- not only can they get your ms read at the big houses, they are instrumental in securing a good contract between you and the publisher, one that benefits you.

Simultaneous post. Thank you, Jayce. You used the word BULL**** which I tried to avoid and now I regret it.

That's because you're a nice person.

Hi Michael. Welcome to WN and good luck with your plan. Jena and jayce know what they're talking about. I just wander around here being really, really normal.

Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    Kyle said: "Agents also seem to be phasing out of the literary world...."

Care to cite a source for that statement?

And this: "...you may be better off representing yourself..."

What utter, absolute bull****. Submitting a manuscript unsolicited to publishers does not constitute representing yourself. Or maybe you're not aware of what a good agent does. She will vet your manuscript, draw upon her personal knowledge of which editors at which houses are currently searching for anything similar, pitch it, sell it, negotiate a contract, and make sure you get paid. In my opinion, to paraphrase an old adage, "Any writer who represents himself has a fool for a client."

Michael: First, welcome to Writers.net. Second, be wary of advice you receive here. This is a public forum, and anyone--regardless of how well intentioned--can say anything, factual or not.

Good luck with your work. You might consider posting the opening paragraphs of your novel in the writing craft section. The opinions you get will be unbiased, and contrary to the post above, many critiques will come from experienced, published writers.
    I gave advice based on what I've heard, don't write me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Anderson View Post
    I gave advice based on what I've heard, don't write me off.
    Then you need to hang around people who know what they're talking about. WN is a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Jena Grace View Post
    Then you need to hang around people who know what they're talking about. WN is a good place to start.
    That's why I joined!