HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Dialogue that sounds like something out of a cheesy move.

Quote Originally Posted by Avonne Writer View Post
    There is a pretty good book out there by Jack Bickham called 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes. Most libraries carry it.
    Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

Cheryl

Cheryl-I found a few items not pertinent to my writing (YA) and a few outdated items (book published awhile ago). But, if gives you something to really consider when writing.

I'd quote you the things I thought outdated, but I can't remember them...only that they were relevant anymore.

Do tell Jeanne, how does that story end?

She loves the "bad boy," of course! She stands by Seth when he goes to jail.

I love the responses I get when I ask my creative writing students, "How many of you watch soap operas? 'Fess up."

Timid hands go up, usually accompanied by a sheepish smile. Even funnier when the "confession" comes from a guy.

Jeanne

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Zeff View Post
    So, Zach, I gather that you think writers can improve their stories by avoiding the most useful speech tag in the English language and throwing an entire class of words out the window? In the words of Dr. T, "I, on the other hand, am inclined to think differently."
    On the contrary, I was listing the cardinal sins of writing. I mean that avoiding the word "said," using too many adverbs and not proofreading were bad things that you should, well, avoid.

Starting the first line of your novel with your main character's full name and title.

Having your main character be a paragon - the most wonderful or beautiful or handsome or pure person on the face of the fairy-tale world you're writing about in place of our planet.

Telling important things instead of showing them.

Creating two-dimensional characters who exist only to shoot guns, suffer losses, die tragically, moon over lost innocence, or **** in posh penthouses.

Describing actions and consequences out of order.

Cliches, whether they're plot points, characters, or single phrases.

Writing with anything less than all your talent, power, and soul.

I am so glad you posted this Cheryl! I learned a lot reading through responses.
    “Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light.”
    -Joseph Pulitzer

Too many dialogue tags, period. Less is always better. I am a minimalist when comes to dialogue tags.

Conversely, a lengthy conversation with not enough dialogue tags, so the reader loses track. For me, that usually takes about 4 lines.