HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Who's Miss Bennett?

Quote Originally Posted by Emily MacGowan View Post
    Even in great romance - look at Pride and Prejudice. Darcy can't get past the stick up his butt, and Elizabeth is downright crazy.
    A little, but she's soooo clever and funny, just love, love, love her.

Oh. That Miss Bennett.

Aver0n 2o11
    We write because we're obsessed with immortality - otherwise, why would we record anything down. History was not written for the people in it to look at, it's for the people who come after because the people who are in it are terrified that they will be forgotten so they go to extraordinary lengths to make sure we remember that they were there - that they once walked this planet.

Same reason as why we put headstones on graves - the guy that's inside is certainly not gonna see it (unless he's the guy that pre-orders and inspects his plot before he goes). The headstone is there for all his sons and daughters and grandsons and granddaughters and great grandsons and great granddaughters and so on - so they can go up to that grave in a hundred years time, point to it and say that was my great grandpa, even if they never knew him in person, they at least have concrete evidence that he's there and was once alive.

Animals procreate to prolong their species but humans no longer care about prolonging their own species, they want to prolong themselves as much as possible - and so you have legacies established, you have memorials, you have special event days and history books and souvenirs. Everything is done to make sure that once we do leave, we won't just be that guy - we will be "he who saved us all" or whatever other title we want to give ourselves.

I write because I learned at an early age that people could be moved by words. And I wanted to tell stories that moved them, as the stories I loved, moved me.