HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Brock Perks

Why we write (thanks George)

Hello writers. I'm a brand new member from Australia. I guess this thread is a way of testing the waters in here. I 've been looking over some postings and there seems to be a common problem. It relates, I think, to how we view our place in the world and interpret what our role as a writer is. It's my sense that writers, like all artists, have an opportunity to do what advertising agencies for example don't, which is to pull back the layers of human living and keep pulling them back past whatever feels comfortable and safe. I think if you're writing about 'real people' it is a waste of creative licence to produce material which is satisfied with externalities or regurgitates cliche. Here are some rhetorical questions:
    Do my characters bleed? Do they harbour fears and doubts like their creator? Do they have that complicated inner life which is a secret to all outsiders? Can I harness that complexity and reveal it to the reader with originality, sensitivity and conviction? Or do I just lazily drag stereotypes out of Pulpworld and try to breathe life into their stiff cartoon bodies? What is the crucial challenge my character(s) must face? If they fail, why? If they succeed, how?
    I'm writing a novel and this is the toughest challenge. How can I possible make my characters occupy a space which is theirs alone? And how can I use language in a voice which is mine alone? I have to remind myself every day that it's not being published which is important, it's writing a story which is worthy of being read and enjoyed from beginning to end by people I respect. Corny? Oh well.
    Keep sweating away, everyone! Keep mining for that song inside.

Welcome! This thread might work better in "Writing Craft", Victoria might move it for you

I think this is exactly why Shakespeare's stories are so good. Nobody's perfect. Every character has a flaw, a secret side we get to see in asides and soliloquys, and their flaws are, more often than not, their downfall. It's one comment I see a lot on this site - what is holding your character back, and why are they letting it? Because something has to be holding them back, otherwise there's no story.

Even in great romance - look at Pride and Prejudice. Darcy can't get past the stick up his butt, and Elizabeth is downright crazy. That's what makes the story great - you keep waiting for the characters to just GET PAST their problems and find the happiness you want for them.

Now I have to go and take this mindset to my own writing.

Hi Brock
    Indeed, the main aim for writing is producing material that will be enjoyable by most people. Writing only so as to be published is not sustainable. Shakespear may have written his books a long time ago but aren't they very relevant and enjoyable to this day? This forum, I believe has the wonderful and experienced writers to help us all in polishing our works!
    Kindest Regards
    Thandi

Hi Brock,

You are right.. I have been so caught up these past few weeks on making my ms publishable that I don't even recognise it anymore. Thanks for the reminder!

Who's George?

http://orwell.ru/library/essays/wiw/english/e_wiw

Why I Write, by the great George Orwell.

Oh, that George.

I'm guessing that's the guy.

Please don't mock Miss Bennett, she is my all time favourite character!!

Haha, but she is crazy. You have to admit it.