HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rejection

If you only pitch to publishers you know accept unagented material, you'll still have a big list of publishers for an agent to contact because most publishers (especially the big ones) will not accept unagented material. In theory, it could work out to try without an agent first.

However, an agent is likely to look at your rejections from publishers as an indication that the book won't sell, and that could hamper your efforts. You have to tell the agent that you already pitched directly to those publishers.

It's a crapshoot either way.

Quote Originally Posted by leslee View Post
    It's a crapshoot either way.
    Such is this whole business, I think.

Debbie,
    The ms that I am sending to publishers is a picture book for children. Yes, for strictly that story, I am pitching to publishers who take unagented new authors I am currently working on adding to, two new scenes as advised by the first publisher I sent it to. After that is done, I am going to take Leslee's advice and see if they would like to see the new version. If not, then I will send it to the two other publishers I have on my starters list. Then wait for replies and go from there.

Before I work on getting an agent I am working on expanding my offline portfolio. I already have one credit to my name (two if you count my self-published book, but I don’t, because I’m sure an agent won’t either). When I decided to make writing my career my goal was to be published offline mostly. But I got sucked into writing for online gigs and that sucked up all of my time. I will be starting a new job within the next week, so I can get rid of the site(s) I was writing for. This will free up time for me to create short stories, local article magazines, or local newspaper article ideas. I am mainly going to shoot for parenting articles and maybe try my luck on publishing a few short stories. Once I have 3 more offline publications to add to my name I will go for an agent. I know I could try my hand at getting an agent now, but I think it will mean more if I have more than one offline publication. Plus, when I plan on querying agents I am going to focus on my offline credentials, versus online publications.

Sorry I wrote you a book there. Lol I didn’t think my response would be that long.

Leslee- Thank you for the bit about having a contract lawyer look everything over. 
    “Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light.”
    -Joseph Pulitzer

You're welcome. I would never sign a contract without having my lawyer look at it.

There are a couple of erroneous ideas expressed in your last post. But since you seem to strongly believe them, and they aren't of a nature that can hurt you, I'm not going to try to talk you out of them.

Margaret (and for anyone else)--not sure if I said this before, but you don't need an agent for picture books anyway, so keep doing what you're doing.

Leslee,
    Feel free to tell me. It is better to know then to not.
    “Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light.”
    -Joseph Pulitzer

leslee

You make some sensible points (as I knew you would) so thank you.

Jena, thank you also.

I'm nowhere near the point I should give up yet. But I just needed to hear some arguments about agent first versus publisher first because - Jesus! Doesn't it take forever?? I'm 46!! I can't wait too long because I'll look crap in my jacket shots and the talk show make up artists will have to be very talented.

Just making jokes. But the reality is it's a despairing job trying to get there. I am thankful and feel privileged that there are so many wise folk on here.

Don't be so impatient! I'm 61 and I'm still working on getting published, although in my case I've decided to self-publish e-books.

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, Get Off My Lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Debbi Voisey View Post
    Doesn't it take forever?? I'm 46!! I can't wait too long because I'll look crap in my jacket shots
    Yep. It takes forever--and I waited longer than YOU, chickie. I'm so frickin' old, they don't even WANT me on their jackets.

I don't want my face on a book jacket. Let the public wonder what the heck I look like.

Let's all wear red wax lips and fright wigs on our book jackets. Secret club.